Maby the most underrated things in not-so-pro studios?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nikolai, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I have noticed that lots of studios basically use normal instrument cables, not the more expensive oxygen free, gold tipped etc cables.. Whats your idea about this? and what instrument cable would YOU use?
  2. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have a search for the "Tara Labs challenge" thread. It's long but it basically confirms what I've known all along - most people can't hear the difference between expensive cables and cheaper ones. I certainly can't and there's nothing wrong with my ears!
  4. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    In my experience, one cable doesn't make a difference, but a LOT of high-end cables in a studio will, especially when coupled with cleaning all your patch bay, board, and outboard equipment jacks, biasing and re-tubing any and all tube gear, realigning tape heads, etc.

In other words, in my opinion, it takes an awful lot of these very small changes to make a difference, but there IS a difference.

Personally, in the privacy of my own home, I just use Belden or Canare's standard line, with Neutrik ends when possible, and make my own. If pressed, I'll use whatever cheapy is lying around, too, as long as it doesn't buzz, crackle, or hum.