1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mackie SRM vs Thump for microphone?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Morrissey, May 30, 2018.

1. Hi.

For my touring setup, I have a Joly modded Oktava mk-012 that I run with a pickup into a Grace Felix. I love it, but the one wild card is that if the wedge is strange it can still sour the evening. I've decided to add to our tech rider one of the mackie powered speakers for consistency. I've used and liked the SRM series, but I know there are newer models now called the "Thump" series. Does anyone have any experience with these? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Chris

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have not been impressed at all with the Mackie Thumps when I've tried to use them for the same purpose. There was something very "hollow" or "empty" about the Thump no matter what kind of EQ I put on it. I request a QSC k10, which seems to be as readily available as anything by Mackie, and I think yields much better results for upright bass.

Chris Morrissey and Ric Vice like this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I wholeheartedly concur. I played some outdoor concerts, where they were using Mackie Thumps for monitoring, and found them to very problematic, it's

difficult if not impossible to get the midrange definition you need for Double Bass. I've always stuck my QSC K8 in the car and if there are issues, I ask the

sound techs, if I can use it.

Chris Morrissey likes this.
  4. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, guys.

Max George and kane612 like this.
  5. SamuelHarris

SamuelHarris Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    Chris, welcome to talkbass! Absolutely love your playing on the new Mark Guiliana CD!
    And I've been enjoying your gear nerding on Instagram!

6. The QSC K8 is the best, most versatile speaker I've used. I use it for a bunch of different purposes including upright bass, and it's great at all of them. I do also have a Thump. To me, it's an adequate monitor with bass guitar and guitar for that matter, but I don't use it for upright. I would use the K8.

The one advantage of the Thump when used as a floor monitor, though, is that it's easy to set on the ground at the right angle, whereas I put the K8 on a pole as it does not sit on the ground the same way as the Thump.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Agreed, there is a workaround for the K8 You use a carriage bolt as an elevator. Easy peasy. :thumbsup: