Magnets! Neodymium vs AlNiCo vs Ceramic-Ferrite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linnin, Mar 28, 2016.

What is your favorite tone magnet?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2017.
  1. AlNiCo

40 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. Ceramic-Ferrite

18 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Neodymium

53 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. Beets

43 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    What do you know? Have you owned and played them all? Which one is you favorite?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I have never found a way to play a magnet by itself. No wires to hook up to.

coreyfyfe, Rdore2000, GregC and 12 others like this.
  3. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I was just about to ask "sorta" the same question, then I saw this, I'm curious and skeptical of the Neo cabs and whether or not they can get as Deep as the Ceramics.

AlexanderB likes this.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I won't buy but neo anymore for gig cabs because the gain in weight is way worth the extra price.

5. B-string

They have no trouble "getting as deep" as ceramic magnet designs or deeper. It is all designer's choice. Neo removed some limitations in design, but early designs over emphasized the available increase in high frequency response (designer's choice not a limitation of material).

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Poll added. Please vote for your favorite tone magnet. Get on your soap box and make your point!

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's an interesting take on tone magnets. Why would you think that?

Robroy likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Please explain further.

Robroy likes this.
  9. Perhaps he meant, the gain in weight reduction? But maybe he adds lead weights so his cabs don't walk around on a hard floor... or something equally redonkulous.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, please do!

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    He meant that it was worth hauling heavy cabs. The gain in weight was offset by the money that stays in his pocket by not buying neos

madjazzbass likes this.
  12. Wait! What? Heavier cabs sound better? That 'splains EVERYTHING!

Aqualung60 likes this.
  13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nope. They're cheaper

14. B-string

Where is the electro-magnet option on the poll? Any old HiFi guy knows PM speakers are for portable radios.

15. The pager system in my building has ceramic speakers and they have no bass and are very tinny compared to the neodymium in my bass cab.
    Alnico in my pickups make my bass sound really good though, so I am going to say, all the above.
    Now give me a carrot.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    GregC, Mvilmany, MobileHolmes and 2 others like this.
  16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The earth's core is a big electromagnet. It's the best.

17. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I think most of the cabinet weight is in the construction and cab itself. An 80 OZ magnet is 5 pounds...How much do the neo's weigh? Just 2 or 3 pounds less? That's not a deal breaker for me.

18. Beets, 'cause I haven't a clue what differing magnet technology does to the sound of a speaker.
    How would you even test that other than subjectively?
    Maybe today is the day we find out what exactly IS the best metal for metal.

19. Just haven't found the input jack to make the world rumble yet. Let me know if you stumble upon it, actually no need to let me know something tells me I'll be alerted to this discovery.

physics and seamonkey like this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    beets. no carrots

ThuzzleFump and S-Bigbottom like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022