Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maiden Singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Paul Di'anno

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Bruce Dickinson

45 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. Blaze Bayley

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    We all know Maiden rocks, but they've had there moments of badness IMO. I was wondering, who do yall think their best singer was? For me its gotta be Dianno, maiden was simply better with him. Also, Dickinson didnt stick his nose into writing then, and Harris was a better writer.

And your pick can be for any reason you want. So and so had a better voice, or maiden was better with him, or he had a positive/negative affect on the songwriting, or whatever.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Dickenson rules imho.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Can you imagine Maiden touring with Di'annno today. He looks fat, old and like a washed up white rapper imho.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think that both DiAnno and Dickinson are great doing what they originally did. I mean, Dickinson is a great singer, but I hate to hear him singing "Wrathchild", for instance. It doesn't fit him IMO.

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I saw Maiden in August (Molson ampitheatre, anyone else there?) and it was an awesome show. they played some stuff off the first two, and Dickinson did an ok job with the early songs (including wrathchild). I just think maiden in general was better with Dianno

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I was there....awesome show! I have seen every Maiden tour since and including Piece of Mind. I enjoyed the early days material but still prefer Dickenson over Di'anno.

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Dickinson for me. I only wish I could sing like him. Di'Anno was great, but he just didn't have the power and presence that Dickinson does.

Graeme

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    They are all great at what they do. I even like Blaze. His solo stuf and stuff with wolvesbane is amazing.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Paul was great on the early stuff, but Dickinson is simply amazing. I wish I could sing like him.

I do agree that Bruce doesn't do some of the old stuff very well.

Blaze? Puhleeaze!

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with ^ .

Dickinson is the man.

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I heard Maiden had some other singers other than Bruce, never saw the need to look into it tho. I had Bruce's solo stuff.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I am the only vote for Blaze, but probably because the first Maiden album I ever heard was the X Factor, which is still my favorite. I love Bruce, but because my favorite material is with Blaze as vocalist, he is my favorite. Paul was fine though, especially him on Prowler and Phantom of the Opera.

13. With Maiden, I liked Blaze.

Just something about the X-Factor album I guess.

BUT, my favorite SINGER on the list is Bruce. I love Bruce's solo work. Balls to Picasso is one of my favorite albums of all time. From the opening Cyclops, to the ending with "Tears of the Dragon". Great stuff.

14. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Bruce all the way! I never saw Paul live, but I did catch Blaze on the Virtual XI tour. Yikes! "Don't ya think I can save ya." Too terrible!

If you haven't ever checked out Bruce's solo stuff, I suggest "Accident of Birth" First rate songs, and the guitars and bass are just amazing! Chemical Wedding is really cool too, although the spoken poetry is a bit much sometimes. I really dig the heavily-compressed bass on those two albums. Sweet.

15. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1.

I think the 1st 4 albums are the best.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1. I can't even listen to the Blaze stuff. I saw them live with blaze and he's AWEFUL.

IMO, Blaze era Maiden is like Metallica's St. Anger.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    How many of you guys know that Dickinson sidelines as a commercial airlines pilot? He's a first officer on a Boeing 757 for a charter airline in the UK. Nice mix of fun jobs.

19. I grew up on Iron Maiden. I voted for Paul. Both fit well with the band. Bruce is a better stageman, but Maiden as a group sounded better with Paul.

20. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Bruce, better singer (cant be argued I think) and better frontman (thats just my opinion).