1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man, any idea on how he got this tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flipper43, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    ). I figure loose strings and down-tuning has to be part of it. I would just talk to him and ask him myself but I can't find his name, or a myspace/ facebook page. Thanks guys.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Sorry, I bailed out at 0:20.:meh:

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    MMmmm... The distortion in that first cut is nice indeed. I agree about loose strings, but have no specific idea beyond that.

4. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    You could probably get that tone with a generic distortion pedal (Boss DS-1 comes to mind for this) running to one amp and a clean tone with a lot of mids and treble.

5. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Haha it's fine man, I can understand. I hated it when I first heard it but something drew me back to it. Slow music just relaxes me.

6. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Yea, it kind of seems like a split signal when you listen closely. I don't know if a DS-1 would do that, though. When I had mine it just did fuzz pretty much.

7. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    I wonder what a blended ODB-3 could do for it.. too metallic? I think he's playing a Schecter in that live video, too. Did anyone else see some sort of a GK head?

8. I would try a bass modded BD-2 actually. There's one for sale in the classifieds right now

9. Definitely a GK head. the distortion on the 2001rb could probably cop that tone too :D

10. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Yea, I was thinking that if it was a GK head he's using in the video, it must be the 2001rb because it's a pretty big head. I don't know what sized drivers he's using though. Maybe 10's

11. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't know how to describe that tone, but however you'd describe it the pickups are pretty important in it. You need something with the right output and balance.

12. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Yea, I agree with you. I've been thinking about picking up a Shecter Stiletto Studio 4 because of the on-board eq and the humbuckers. That could potentially get me somewhere with this. Plus it's an awesome looking bass.

13. This is a "djenty" band. He is probably downtuned past Ab. The sound is very boosted, and you REALLY have to be hitting the strings hard with a pick.

14. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    What are you suggesting with the whole "boosted" thing? More mids?

15. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Do you guys think that if I were to put a GK 2001rb through a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 then it'd blow up without even pushing it hard?

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd be very surprised if the 2001RB was the only GK head that could get that tone. Heck, you always hear about the 800 having great grit and grind when pushed.

Today I learned two new slang words: "djenty" and "dakka".

17. im hearing at least 2 layers. maybe its ridiculously low tuned guitars im hearing. its certainly boxy and boosted at one particular frequency. low tuned, one heavily distorted layer then maybe some kind of fixed wah in a loop?

neat tone. interesting music

18. jscomposer

jscomposer

Nov 25, 2009
    Pretty sure that's double-tracked guitars you're listening to, along with a pedestrian distorted bass.

Now THIS is a br00t4L bass (using PodXT):

19. Seems like with alot of heavily downtuned music that alot of the low end is covered by the guitars and the bass just adds some aggressive midrange noise and floppiness to the mix. Won't always be the case but it kinda seems like alot of the time.

20. Dayummmmm!! Seriously heavy tone happening there.