1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Manhood at stake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Neb Maro, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I don't like watching sports.
    Basketball, Football, Basewall, Soccer, Nascar whatever. They just can't hold my attention for more than a few minutes.
    Playing those sports is different. I enjoy that.
    I don't like the taste of beer.
    I've only tried a Budlight and another beer that I couldn't remember.
    I go for the Mikes Hard Lemonade, or Smirnoff Triple Black.
    I'm not a big cusser.
    So, it seems like I strike out on the three stereotypical measures of manhood.Only place I seem to be doing well in is the woman catching place. I love my wife. :D
    So, any freaks like me?
    Or anyone feel like taking pity on a poor soul and saying I don't have to like the above three and I can still be a man? :bag: :)

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't have pity on you, but I also do not question your manhood.

You can live a successful manly life without cussing or drinking beer. As foreign as it sounds to me, I think you can also be a successful man without ever watching sports on TV. Not sure on that one though, I have never tried it. :D

-Mike

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't generally follow sports as much as some others, as I see it as obsessive. I drink beer, Lienenkugels is my favorite. The reason you don't like beer is that you have not had any good stuff. Mikes and Smirnoff Malt beverages are just fine too.

Cussing I can give or take. It depends on who I am talking to.

Woman catching... That doesn't make one a man.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Here's a scientifically formulated question that will put your worries to bed once and for all (or the opposite).

Do you enjoy musical theater?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I make it well known that I'm not a big sports fan, honestly, I can only really give a hoot about hockey, and that's not so much anymore with the rule changes.

I'm not big on beer drinking. I'll have a few here and there, but they're gonna be good ones. No Miluakee's Best for me.

And cussin? Sometimes. I can have a very foul mouth, but I'm usually pretty clean. I throw it in for added effect sometimes.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Dude, I'm exactly like that, plus I'm growing my hair long.

It's really not that big a deal. Being a man means being responsible for your actions. I've met a lot of people who love sports and beer and cuss all the time, but I wouldn't call them men by any stretch of the word.

7. I don't care about any sports except MotoGP (the premier class of motorcycle racing)

Anyway, none of the things you mention are a measure of manhood.

Do you prefer manual transmissions?
    Do you ride motorcycles?
    Are you skilled with power tools?
    Do you admit your mistakes, and correct them promptly?
    Do you wrench on your own motor-vehicles?
    Do you set up you own basses?
    Do you solder your own instrument, and other audio cables?

I won't say how many you have to answer "yes" to, to be manly, because some momma's boy would get his knickers in a twist.

8. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    HAHAHA!! Well, I loved seeing Les Miserables.
    I would also like to see The Phantom of the Opera.

Hey, classical classical music is one of my favorite style and those plays are similar.

9. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Manual is ok, but I like just being able to cruise.
    I really want a motorcycle, but my wife is terrified of that.
    I worked in a warehouse for nearly four years with various power and hand tools, so I would like to think so.
    Yes, I do admit when I wrong even if sometimes it's grudgingly done. Then i work to correct it.
    Nope, I don't. I know very little about the inner workings of cars.
    I have only one bass.
    When I need to change the pickups, I will learn how to do it myself.

I always thought honor, integrity, humility,respect,strength of character,wisdom were aspects of manhood. Guess I was wrong. :p

10. You're not wrong, I forgot those. They are important aspects of manhood.

11. Well, to be fair, Bud Light isn't exactly "beer". It's a beer-like water substance.

Mike's Hard Lemonade is pretty good.

- Dave

12. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I couldn't care less about sports. I exercise, love my wife and kids. Drink beer, probably to much ,but it's so good!.I try to live right. Music is my passion , just like planting oneself on the sofa and watching sports is someone else's.
    I like playing, listening and analyzing music. Am I the best or a genius at it? No I am not , but it is my favorite thing to do.And yes a good play or musical can be downright entertaining.

13. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Any rules against telling moderators to zip it?
    I have no doubt about my manhood. I just felt a little like I was on the fringes because so many guys like sports, beer and cussing.

14. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    While this may be true, it's nowhere near as fun as the other way.

15. I'm not really much into sports

16. Follow up question, do you have any showtunes on your MP3 player? :p

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Cigarrettes?

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Don't feel so bad. I hate sports with a passion, and it took me a long time to warm up to the taste of beer. Even now I'm not the type of guy who thinks just because it's beer, it's good, no matter what kind it is. I know jack about cars, I can barely check my oil. I also am not very handy around the house.

As for swearing though, you better #%&*ing believe it :)

19. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    lol. Nope. No mp3 player. No show tunes on my computer either.

20. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Where in the world did you dig that up? Don't tell me you actually did a search for Fabio.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021