1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickster4003, Mar 30, 2013.

1. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi - I currently have a Rick and would like to get a Jazz bass. Have been considering the Marcus Miller bass or the Geddy Bass. Just wondering what people thought of the differences between them (sound, feel,etc). The Geddy bass would save some money, but I like the look of the white inlays on the Marcus. The look of the sunburst on these are real nice.

Thanks.

2. They sound very, very different. My suggestion would be to sit down and listen to both players for a bit and see what you like. I'd personally go with the Marcus Miller sig, mainly because it's available in a 5 string, and I like Marcus' tone more. :)

3. king rew

king rew

Feb 18, 2009
    Maine
    The 5 string marcus is a lot more expensive, too!

The thing that comes to my mind is that the marcus has a 7.25 inch radius in the neck, and the geddy has a 9.5 inch radius. This could make the feel of the basses quite different depending on their setups, so I'd recommend playing one of each if at all possible.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The one time I got to try a MM for a while I found it way too bright sounding, even for these half deaf ears!

And yes, I do know how the preamp and controls work on it.

5. Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Mar 27, 2013
    I traded my Geddy in for a Marcus Miller 4 back in 2004. Both are great but i prefer the miller. Has a nice sustaining tone, the neck is like butter and the active switch gives it that deep warm boost. Great for finger or slapping for sure. I just threw new strings on mine a couple days ago and it came to life. Get the Marcus imo

6. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

To me- the quality of a 5 string American made MM is much better than the Japanese 4 strg MN. Not even close. Again, to me, the 5 string felt, played and sounded incredible making the 4 string version feel like a copy bass. Only my opinion. I have not played the new MM 4 made in Mexico
    The Geddy was also a very nice bass but it did not compare with the MM 5

7. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    I prefer the feel of the neck on the MM and the preamp works really well for me. It can go from subtle shaping to balls-out agressive boost. I think they have the potential to sound very similar, though. You can definitely get Geddy tones out of the MM if you try.

Edit: I only have experience with the Japanese versions, which are both great. I've never played the current MIM iteration.

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Owning both,and both of the CIJ variety,I'd say go for the MM. As stated above,you can find the Geddy tones in the Marcus Miller,but not so much the other way 'round. The fit and finish is as good as my MIA's,but they're both heavier than my MIA's,the MM being a robust 11.6lbs. I'd have to say my only real complaint with it is the weight.

The thing I really love about the Geddy is that you really can't get a bad 'rock' tone out of it. Honestly..no matter how the controls are set,rounds or flats,I KNOW I'm going to get 'punchy rock' or 'thumpy rock' tones..you're just dialing in the crispness of the attack. In a rowdy bar-band setting,that's priceless..

9. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks for the help! The MM is nice - the ash body must have some heft to it and some good low end sound.