1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Adams ( Stone Jam aka Grung Funk !!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hands5, May 3, 2006.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I hear alot about the Funky bass players i.e Marcus Miller, Larry Graham,Flea ( I guest) Victor Wooten ( not really,but awful damn good) Louis Johnson-as he should be and Prince-fa sho,and I'm sure there a few others that I might agree or disagree,but I've yet to hear anybody ( but a few you cats around TB that are in the know) mention anything about Mr. Mark Adams of the group Slave/ Aura ( although Steve Washington who was Slaves' leader and trumpet player became a sho nuff good bassist for Aura after Mark Adams left also did a short stint with Parliment). I know Marcus has a signature sound and tone with the tried and true 70's Jazz bass,but I have to say with the exception of Larry Graham,Mark Adams truly had a in your face style as much as any basses during this period of some serious funky players,and really did bring the 70's Jazz bass to the light (even before Marcus),and mind you this was when he was still in high school.
    Listen all players that have been mention obviously deserve thier props ok..cool.But this cat truly deserves some.
    Peace

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mark Adams gets mentioned from time to time. I have mentioned him myself because I saw him live in 1980 at show that was opened by Pleasure with Nathaniel Phillips taking an extended solo on "Glide." Mark Adams, I think, gets less run than others you mentioned because his music crossed over very little with the exception of "Slide."

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I too have mentioned him as have quite a few others here (mostly the old school funk cats)! I consider him one of my teachers (indirectly of course)! The cat is a monster and I also consider him an innovator on the instrument! His use of double stops and chorus/flanger effects are unique and I've not heard another player who played like him!

4. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I totally agree with you. Mark adams is clearly without a doubt one of the biggest influences on me. He in my opinion on par with any bass player in the that era or beyond. One of the reason's he's not mentioned on here more is because a lot of these cat's really don't seem to know music as a whole. You have to be turned on to certain guys, and a lot of guys just aren't that well rounded. What typed of bass did he play? I also noticed that he was like 18 or so when he first started with Slave.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes, he was the youngest member and his age actually delayed them from gigging at certain venues so they had to wait until he turned 18 and then it was on!! Cats in the know here have said most of the recordings were done using a Fender Jazz. Most pictures show him playing an Alembic!

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I saw him live, he had a Jazz. What got my attention was his rack mouinted amp with a preamp, power amp, etc. That was the first such setup I had ever seen (1980.)

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mrk Adams also had a jazz in the short piece on him in Bass Player last fall.

8. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I figured he was playing some type of fender. When you guys listen to some of his playing on songs like snapshot, was he using a chorus or some other type of effect.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Mark was truly an innovator and his basslines are killer. He gets mentioned here a lot more than you think here, I have mentioned him in several threads and responded to many others. I remember him with an Alembic series 1 and a custom built Jazz type bass with three pickups and a mirror pickguard that covered the complete front of the bass. Got a chance to see him live a couple of times and he was just a great player, amazing pocket and slap grooves. His solo's were the real treat though. The touring bassist for Slave actually posts here on Talkbass, maybe he'll chime in.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It was a chorus pedal on "Snapshot". My favorite line BY FAR is "Stone Jam". He killed that song. Btw, he was 17 when he wrote the bassline to "Slide". Mark has gotten alot of mentions here, mostly from us older funkheads, but it's all part of the education process for us all. Younger cats here have turned me on to some killer bassists as well. TB member Slavebass now plays for Slave.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Bassist and trumpeter and guitarist and leader of Slave, Steve Washington had a group out with Slave guitarist Mark "Drac" Hicks and Shiela Horn from the group Brides Of Funkenstien. The band was called Civil Attack. Washington did some wicked basswork on that record, he and Adams had very similar styles. Yeah Adams and Hicks were 17 when "Slide" became a hit and both were still in high school! I remember Hick's dad not being too happy about signing that contract because he wanted Hicks to go to college.:smug:

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    You remember Drac's band, The Drac Pack?

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah a friend has been promising me a bootleg of it for a couple of years now LOL, it was never released in the states from what I can remember. I do have the Civil Attack though.

14. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Woodchuck, I have to admit thinking about it, that stonejam was an incrdible song. I love the extended version where the guitar and bass form that incredible, pulsating solo part where Mark is holding it down and the guitar player is ripping over the top. Did mark get the bass chores on Steve Arrington's hall or fame as well?????

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Buddy Hankerson, Steve, and Kevin Eubanks :confused: played on the first record. I believe Steve played "Weak at the Knees".

16. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Thanks the weak at the knee's is one of the all time jams in my opinion!!!!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    One of the nastiest and easiest to learn. Speaking of Mark, you know his main influence was Verdine White (E,W,&F). During their first tour with EWF, Mark would stand in the shadows and watch Verdine do his signature "sting". Mark copped it, and made it funky! :bassist: It's especially funky in "Watching You".

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Listen to the Arrington record again. The vibe is similar to Slave, but the bass tone is very different. The Arrington Hall of Fame was Stingray heaven! That whole album is full of two band Stingrays with the treble knob maxed out! As the owner of a SR5 HH, the sound of that album really warms my heart!:bassist: :D

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Mark Adams is a true pioneer of individuality as a Bass player and overall talent,never overplayed always gave the song just what was needed,even to this Day there is no Bass player that has that sound at all and if it is point me and those who may be interested to that Bass player.Mark was around 16 or 17 when they came out with slide.the main three basses that he played were his Jazzes,Alembics and the three pickup J Bass was made by Stars guitars(equipped with the original stars guitars preamp,that M.Miller is now so famous for).

and on another note Kenny Pettus co-founder and keyboardist for the R&B Funk group The Dazz Band(that's one of the regular gigs you will find Nate Philips on) is Mark Adams cousin.