1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass LMII Marco Limited Edition First Impression

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Apr 10, 2009.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just got this in the mail yesterday from MF as part of my amp consolidation project. Apparently these just came out and they're only producing 500 units. As my attached pictures show, it is tested and signed by Marco De Virgiliis himself!

Plugged this into my Bag End S15 w/Carvin speaker which doesn't exactly sound that great with my other amps. I couldn't believe how much open and hi-fi my bass sounded with this amp, even with all of the EQ and filters set flat. I was also surprised how far I could turn up the gain without clipping (this was with an active bass). Super loud with the master volume set at only 8:00! I like how the VLE filter rolls off the highs and makes the amp sound more like my SVT but with all the punch and transient attack of a solid-state setup.

I have the new Eden WTX500 on preorder which I'm going to compare with this amp. I have a gig in a couple of weeks that I'm going to A/B both of these amps and then send one of the two back. The bar has been set pretty high already with this Markbass; I know the Eden is more compact and lighter and has a few more features (mute, XLR output gain control, etc.). It will basically come down to which amp performs better in the mix.

Hopefully I can post a review soon of the Eden when that arrives. I'm definitely impressed with class D amplification already!:cool:

Attached Files:

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I like the way those look! Nice! FYI, while the LM has a switching power supply, it's actually a traditional class A/B power amp like used in most larger SS amps. This is the reason many attribute to the very warm, musical, fat voicing of this amp. The 'class D' version of this head is called the F1.. same control layout, but much smaller and lighter, same power, more punchy tight tone than the warm and fat LM tone.

FYI, this model has been out for quite a while, and is basically the LMII with a different face plate. GREAT amp. The LMIII updated model just started arriving in the US. It's basically the same, but has a more fully featured DI and an improved power amp safety limiting circuit to goose a little more volume and punch out of the amp at high volumes.

They also just introduced the LMTube, with is basically the LMIII with a blendable tube pre, separate volume control for the XLR input, and a mute switch. That's mega sweet right there!

And!!!.... for a little more money, you can get the 800 watt class D version of the LMIII or LMTube (with a high powered class D power amp in the same box.. same size and weight).

From my experience with the Eden260, my guess is the Eden500 will be going back, but who knows!

Enjoy that very nice head!!!!!

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I wonder what the next Markbass Limited will be? Maybe it will be a 1200 watter with a tube and a MUTE!!!

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The LE is certainly much better looking than the stock LMII. If I were a more vain person I'd sell mine and buy the fancy gold version.... hmmm maybe I am!

Anyone know how much the LMTube will be selling for??? :cool:

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I just ordered the LMTube800. It sells for $799. My understanding is that the LMIII will sell for the same price as the non-discounted LMII price, so $599. Just guessing, but that would probably put the LMTube and the LM800 at $699. Amazing price value IMO!

6. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    I've actually got one of these coming in the mail today. Can't wait to give it a spin.

7. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    If you are getting a LMIII 800 Tube, where did you find it / get it?

Thanks!

8. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

They are now in the system if you call or visit a GC (my guess is, the vast majority of GC staff don't realize that, so you need to make sure to know the exact product name so they can look it up). There is at least once GC somewhere (from a recent thread) that actually has them on the floor, but with most GC's, it will be a special order. At this point, I'm not sure if I am a week or three months away from delivery, but it is formally on order in the GC system.

11. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    Here is the response I just recieved from Music 123 on the availability of the Little Mark Tube 800 -

Message from Stefanie W at Music123:
    Dear Musician,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. The item in question is new to our inventory and not yet available to order. However, once this item is available, it will be advertised online. We expect to receive our first shipment of this product on May 22, 2009

We appreciate you choosing Music123. If you'd like to place an order, please give us a call at 888-566-6123. Don't forget to ask about our unadvertised Weekly Specials!

We are dedicated to your satisfaction with this and every purchase from us.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.

http://www.music123.com/

1-888-566-6123

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Is that really the best that Marco can do? His amps normally have , shall we kindly say, unusual livery. Now this one looks like an Eden!

Paul

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 It's only available at this point at GC, not at their online outlets (MF and 123). However, even though some have obviously arrived at some GC's, since TBers have played them, I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while for mine. I do have an order number, and am waiting on estimated delivery from my sales person.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

This is a very limited run special edition for a limited time. It actually looks VERY cool in person. There's also a special edition bright red F1. It's just a little different flavor for those that want a different look.

15. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    Looks like GC on line doesn't know about it (Little Mark Tube 800) either!

Message from Tyler G at Guitar Center:
    Dear Musician,

Thank you for your recent inquiry,

I do not show a ship date for this item, best thing to do is keep checking on our web site, and as soon as we get info on these we will post it. If you have any other questions please let me know.

We appreciate you choosing GuitarCenter.com

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/

866-498-7882

Tyler.G

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Correct. Only at GC at this time.

See this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534312

17. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    I guess we are getting lost in the details here - this is from Guitar Center, not the store, but the on line store. I guess if the store knew about it, they would too.

As far as I can see, we only have one person that says they saw it and they were not really sure it was the LM Tube 800, just knew / though it had yellow knobs.

Anybody else actually see a LM Tube 800 in person somewhere? As much as I hate to do it, I may go down to a GC store and try to see if I can also get one on order like Ken was able to!

Thanks!

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I know it's a limited run Ken and I do think it's a vast improvement over their regular fare. I guess I must be too old school as I insist on my backline being plain black. I feel that the stage should showcase MY performance not how weird my equipment looks. However to each his/her own.

Paul

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Zero issue to me. I can't imagine anyone but another bass player even noticing my backline gear.

Do you really think how your backline gear looks has anything to do with anything:smug:

I hear you though, some stuff looks better to me than other stuff, but it's all about the sound to me.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Plus one trillion. I could really give a crap what color my gear is. I don't think the MB stuff looks bad at all, and I wouldn't give a second thought to even using their yellow speakers.