1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Martin Turner/Wishbone Ash. Anyone???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dog1, Jan 21, 2012.

1. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Is there anyone out there who is old enough and dialed in on precision (not Fender Precision) bass/guitar work who remembers, or still listens to the fine licks of Wishbone Ash? Since the early 1970's until now, I know of no other band who used only strings (and drums..Steve Uptown) to portray such precise and MUSICAL riffs. Guitar licks with a purpose, and bass that reflects and compliments the guitars.

Martin Turner played a Thunderbird. Made it sing. He is my all time favorite bass player. Just ahead of Chris Squire

I saw them in 1974 at a terrible (well below them) venue in Indianaplois. Melody Skate Land. Yup. A roller skating rink. Sat on the floor and ......smoked. They were scheduled to play two days later at the Hammond Civic center. A better venue, but still...........I was there

I have nine of their albums. Each a Masterpiece. But, as always, well beyond what many can conceive, or even understand.

Popular music in the 70's doesn't (and didn't) include anything that I listened to. It was mostly crap. What I listened to was considered "underground" music.

Anyone?

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I was in a record store one day and a friend of mine came in. I asked him for ideas for new stuff I might like and he handed me "Live Dates". I can't thank Jeff enough for that.

I saw them too, probably later than '74. Laurie Wiesfeld had replaced Ted Turner when I saw them, but they were wonderful!

John

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank God for a reply. Laurie was a great guitar player and saw them through many good albums. (I am listening to "Lady J" right now from "There's the Rub".

Darn John, I am having a brain freeze. Who is the cat who played the V.

Help

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Andy Powell. Thank you God for helping my brain to work.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Yup! i remember the good o'l days of Wishbone Ash,
    some of the greatest music of the 70`s:D

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    The" New England "album kills

7. There are now 2 incarnations of Wishbone Ash still touring in the UK. One headed up by Martin Turner, the other by Andy Powell.

To my mind Martin Turner's WA is as close as you are going to get to the original sound. I saw then 2 years ago doing most of Argus plus assorted other songs and they were superb.

I saw WA back in the 70's on the You See Red tour and to be honest they were not as good as Martin Turner's WA are today IMO.

I saw also saw Andy Powell's WA a couple of years ago. They were very good but they did mostly later stuff that I am not as familiar with, and did not have Martin Turner on bass and vocals so were a poor imitation IMO.

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you, my British friend. I am listening to "Sometime World" as I write this. To remember what was, and what is now, almost brings tears to my eyes. There is no soul in music today. As I listen to Ted and Andy's guitar duets and Martin's defined and musical bass lines, I wonder what happened to QUALITY rock. Vocal harmonies, guitar duets, wonderful bass lines.

BTW. After "New England", I almost lost interest. Their first, with the burnt wishbone, Pilgramage, Argus, Wishbone 4, There's the Rub, New England. (I'm forgetting something) Crap.

I'm no turn coat. But, at least during the 70's, All the elite quality rock came from (what was then known as) England.

(Lady J is now playing)

If you have any other info on my favorite band, please let me know. Thank you for the updates.

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    What I remember most about them was that they sounded the same live as they did on their recordings. Bass lines, leads.......same as recorded. No other band I ever heard did that.

10. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Listening to "Time Was".

11. ARGUS is on my list of top 5 favorite albums of all time (along with BENEFIT by Jethro Tull & IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY)

i THINK Martin Turner was a superb bass player and his playing on that album really made it.

go listen to Sometime World or Time was, and you'll be hooked.

the whole album is just dynamite.

davesignatureII-1.

12. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh my. I almost forgot about "White Bird". (It's a Beautiful Day) (Girl with no eyes)

As a youngster, I thought if I could learn Sometime world, I would be "there". I did, and "Handy" also. Can't play like Martin Turner, but I still try. Wish I could sit down and talk to him.

Only thoughts.

13. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    My favorite Tull was "A Passion Play"

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    What ever happened to quality rock. Today's music, and for the last 30 years, not only has no balls, it has no soul.

Sometimes I want to just quit.

15. That was what struck me about Martin Turner's WA, the sound quality and faithfulness to the originals was quite staggering, even with different guitarists and drummer.

They were second on the bill to Focus (bonkers Dutch prog band, mad as a box of frogs but great fun), and supported by the Groundhogs, who I like recorded but live they were a total disappointment. I don't know if these 2 bands made it across the pond.

They are playing near me again in a couple of months, I might have to go and see them again. We usually make it a band night out for such events.

Lonesomedave - Argos is probably among my top 5 favourite albums as well, a difficult choice I know and one that will be different from day to day. Back when it came out I was in a 2 lead guitar band and we played quite a lot of Argus, some of it non too well IIRC, happy days.

A buddy of mine was a huge WA fan and saw them whenever they played within driving distance. He got friendly with the Steve Upton (drummer) and would help him set up and break down his kit. He would blag his way into concerts claiming he was his drum tech (or whatever they were called then). If refused entry he would demand that they fetch Steve who would confirm his story.

16. Been a Wishbone Ash/Martin turner fan since thier 1st albuim.
    Turner's basswork (along with Dennis Dunnaway) got me interested enough to learn how to play the Bass.

17. rulyongo

rulyongo

May 5, 2011
    Carolina, PR
    Great band and a great bassist!!! I still listen to them once in a while.

18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Wishbone Ash is one of my all time favorite bands and Martin is on of my favorite bass players, one of the reasons I play Thunderbirds to this day. I saw them at the Hard Rock Quarry out side of Buffalo NY in '72 a most memorable experience. I love Martins tone on Live Dates, Ballad of the Beacon is far superior to the studio version, one of my favorite cuts on the disc.

19. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I appreciate the responses. It is good to know that I am not alone.

Needless to say, I was feeling a bit sentimental last night. It is a shame that over the years, some of my favorite bands got very little, if any radio play time. I don't ever remember hearing even one WA song played on the radio. Let's face it, back in the 70's, if it wasn't disco or some other kind of crap, it didn't get played...at least not around the Indianapolis area.

Oh well. And even though Martin Turner was one of the most unique bass players IMO, there is no mention of him on TB.

20. FenderRick

FenderRick

Mar 30, 2011
    Croatia