1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Massive big-up to Ed Friedland's bass method

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by afromoose, Apr 28, 2010.

1. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Can I just say this book is awesome - I've been playing for about 15 odd years and never learned to play bass from staff notation. I have started teaching my students from this book recently, and working through it by myself have got through the entire first book in one day because it's so well laid out. It'll take students longer no doubt but I've made several attempts to learn to read and all of them up til this have failed miserably.

If you are wanting to learn to read and want to get results rather than frustration then I recommend this book.

I have a load of jazz transcriptions that are all in staff notation which I've been dying to be able to play for ages and if I can make it through all three of these books I may stand a chance. Brilliant book and great playalong tracks.

2. better late than never

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Cool books, Ed is a great communicator, he has the knack of writing great books in a manner that is easy to understand.
    As for yourself, as said better late than never.:)

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I took a lesson with Ed when I was in Austin last month. He's truly an outstanding educator and a great guy.

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have been taking once a week hour long lessons for about 2 months and am just finishing up the first book. It's GREAT - I have never come this far in my attempts to learn to read music. I can now buy all these other books about different genres/styles and read the music, see the rhythm. It's just a great thing to be knowing how to read music.

Still have a ton left to do, but having not even completed the first of three books I can pick up a lot of sheet music and be able to play it.

Any beginner/non-reader should have this book, and use it!

6. Which version do you have? I've been looking at the Complete Bass Method book (one with all three editions) myself.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That 3 book series published by Hal Leonard is a great first step. I used it with all my bass students. His other books are equally good. I haven't ever had a face to face with Ed, but have communicated via email a couple times and he is a great guy.

8. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Hi

I have all three in one - I'd recommend getting all three as one volume because if you concentrate you can get through the material really quick.

Have fun with it. I have a book called 'jazz bass book - technique and tradition' which is all in notation - no tab - so I'm really looking forward to being able to play it. That book similarly is very very good - it has a bio on just about every great jazz bassist ever.

9. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I've got a lot of experience reading music, but most of my bass clef knowledge has been forgotten. Can you recommend a book that is for the slightly more advanced player?

10. chuck shers book has some good charts in back,there are some great bass line books from aebersold

11. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have the three in one version, too. Another benefit of this version is that its comb bound, and will sit perfectly flat on a music stand.

12. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    @ afromoose ... i agree with you on ed's book. i have the complete edition, and am about 3/4 of the way through book 2 (minor triads are up next). i've been playing for only 4 months, using this book for the past 3. the only deviation was i skipped tabs. i don't have an interest in the slap/popping sections, either, so i'll skip those when i get to them.

the way the material is presented is easy to understand/practice, and the sequence of lessons just flows logically from one to the next imo. i'd definitely recommend it.

13. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1.

As for Ed Friedland, he does indeed have a knack for communicating material effectively.

14. Everyone seems testy today on talkbass. It's like we're having board wide PMS.

ANnnyway: just ordered the book on amazon. Hopefully it's as awesome as everyone says. I hope to suck less after completing it.

15. i've heard nothing but positive feed back about ed's stuff......check out the sher,aebersold bass books too .....sher's is a method,aebersold is transcribed bass lines

16. I'll probably stick to one at a time ( a veiled attempt to maintain sanity). I love Ed's bass reviews etc, so I thought I would give it a whirl. Amazon is selling it for less than $20 shipped.

17. what kind of stuff are you looking for......i find that i'm getting to the point where i go through books fairly quick ..... fortunately i have lots so i don't get bored.....in conjunction with methods a few gw/bp back issues give you some songs to work on too....your local used book probably has them for a dollar or two.....five transcribed bass lines for a buck is decent....if you hang out in tab forum there is stuff available there too

18. Well, mainly I want to get better in as many ways as I can. I want to learn some technical info to make improvising riffs easier. I want to expand beyond rock into more blues and jazz as well

19. chord tones,chord tones,and did i mention chord tones..... subscribe to havic 5 on youtube.....he has some interesting stuff on jazz

20. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Its a great book, and you can't loose at that price. It starts at the absolute basics, but there's enough material in the three volumes that just about anyone should find some useful stuff in there.