Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Apr 1, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    freakin' rocks. IMHO the best new metal band to come out in the past 5 years.

That is all.
  2. yeah, they are having a show at a venue near me in the coming months... i may check it out
  3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you haven't seen them live I would say that show is mandatory. They are phenominal live. I was blown away by their sheer power and technicality.
  4. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hell yeah, Mastadon is great. Their bass player Troy Sanders is great and has his own column in Bass Guitar Magazine.
  5. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Mastodon rules!! Anyone grab an early copy of leviathon that has the dvd with it?
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    While I do like Mastadon I think the best metal band to emerge in the last 5 years is Agalloch. They are worth a check by all, great blend of early dimmuesque black metal, early Opeth style doomishness, and very elegant yet somber acoustic arrangements.
  7. Mastadon rocks !
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    As good as Leviathan is, I like Remission better. Cool band, with an interesting use of drop tuning. Bran Dailor might be my favorite metal drummer, great style combined with "chops for days".
  9. I picked up Leviathan recently. I haven't listened to metal for the past few years and really thought I never again would. I am tremedously enjoying this album, though, and am planning on picking up Remission soon as well.
  10. Saw them live at the Mean Fiddler (London) a few weeks ago. Wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped to be, but the second half of their set got the whole crowd going.

I don't think it helped that I wasn't into the supports (Dozer and Burst) too much, although Burst had a few great tracks, and they seemed nice guys at the merch stall afterwards.

I'm still making up my mind on which album is better, Leviathan or Remission. Anyone listened to Behold The Arctopus or Dysrhythmia? Both great, similar sounding prog-metal bands.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    yes they do.

Recently picked up "Lifesblood" -also very good!
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I picked up Levithan because I heard the name Mastadon and loved the album art and thought, "WTH, is this an album about Moby Dick" after looking at the song titles.

I can't seem to get more than 4 songs into the album without getting bored. :meh: I can't figure out what bothers me about it. I've heard worse singers (even though this guy isn't great)... I haven't given up on it, but it hasn't struck me as brilliant just yet.
  13. I've seen em in London 5 times,the early ones in tiny venues left me totally floored. Utterly phenomenal in every respect. AND they ended with Emerald by Thin Lizzy. :bassist:
    The perfect touch on an already remarkable cake.
  14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    They played that when I saw them last year, oppening for clutch. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after their set. I had earplugs in, and still left the club deaf... :eek:
  15. Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO

Thats the same response I had too. My drummer showed me the band about 8 months ago and I was floored. F'n sucks they cancelled their St.Louis show. I think my drummer and I are driving all the way to atlanta to see them though.
  16. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to post. The new album is decent but remission was awesome. I picked up the EP just because of Bran, and man that album rocked. I got to see them awhile ago with Cephalic Carnage and they definately rocked live, very powerful and heavy.
  17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Glad too see people with similar thoughts on an incredible band. I've been listening to Keelhaul and the new High On Fire alot lately.

What other bands out there are similar to Mastodon?
  18. Leviathan wasnt that great, Lifesblood (EP) and Remission are totally awesome..

Oh and bands like mastodon, I dont know.. maybe Isis could be a bit similar..
  19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Excellent band. Too bad I missed them 2 years ago at a festival.
  20. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I was the exact same way. Listen through the whole disc a few times. It gets better with every listen. Definately a 'growing on me' band if you have never heard of them before