1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

matching guitar and bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RonChase, Apr 30, 2010.

1. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I want to closely build as many guitars to match my bass's or bass's to match my guitars.This is my first matching set and I got 4 more bass's to match as I own 5 bass and 6 guitars.Let me know your thoughts on my first pair of duplicates

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Not to be snide... but... Why???

3. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    for kicks ya know I mean why not is the question.I had a real blast building 3 strats this year and while not worth as much it has been fun and the home made strats are better than my real one so thats it.I dont think why is snide so I can get a bunch of Fender bass parts and want to do it purely for fun

4. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Why not put a pickguard on it? That seems to be the defining thing about that bass.

5. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I am ordering pickguards and many extra pieces.Go check out www.greasygroove.com and see the cool things for guitars and bass.And besides I want the guitar to llok like David Gilmour's axe

6. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Pickguards are different, and pickup covers are different colors. I don't think they match at all.

7. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    yeah, they aren't too similar except the maple/rosewood neck and the black body. i think they'd both look really cool with tortoise shell pickguards and black pickup covers for that strat.

anyway, it's a really cool idea!

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Cool stuff mate, i dig it!

I've got something similar

CIMG7743.
    CIMG7749.

But then again i am colorblind...

9. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    need.........better..........pics!

i have been wanting to build bass like my tele for a while now, but my Pedulla is more than I could ask for, so now I am thinking a strat to match it. I've been trying to get together a band where everybody has a bass, keys and guitar setup for a while now, and with the fEarful design, I find that a lot more do able. 1 cab, three differant amps and an ABC switch for all. Of course around here that also turn into a stage full of horns as well....

But yeah, I want a 4 string for slap, a 5 string for most stuff, a fretless and a H/S/H strat with coil taps that all match. I guess a 4 guitar hercules stand would be nice too. I can get enough tones and stuff out of my bass I don't need no stickin keyboard.... :ninja: I play guitar like a bass player anyway. :p

Attached Files:

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I still question the idea. I mean how is a strat like a Fender bass? Is it more like a Jass than a P-bass? And why not a tele instead? All they got going is the color, headstock shape and company name.

Now my idea is matching basses. You know fretted and fretless or 4,5,and 6 string in both fretted in and fretless all of the same model and brand and color and finish etc. I've been wanting to get a fretted Carvin AC50 to match my Fretless one for some time. But I quickly derived that if you get an IDENTICAL bass (especially since my fretless is lined) when you put them side by side on stage you have a hard time telling them apart. So since I got the Fretless with a matching headstock (spruce) I figured the fretted would be best with the standard black one. That way I could tell at a glance which was which. But still they would for the most part look alike which would be cool.

As for basses and Guitars. The closest I've got is my Dillion Dagger. It has an oiled walnut rub and individual string saddles that makes it look very bass-like (which is why I bought it) But truth is I really don't have a bass that looks like that as all mine are shiny and quilted maple or something like that. And add to that the fact that I hate the tone of the Dillion in spite of great looks I suppose one of these days it'll hit Craig's list looking like a bass or not! On the other hand... Dillion does make a Dagger series bass (in 5 string too!) that would be a Killer pair with my Dillion Dagger guitar even if I really don't like the guitar much. But then I haven't really worked much with it trying strings etc. to see what it really can do.

Yeah, A guitar-bass pair of Dillion Daggers. I could see that!

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Kewl idea. Unfortunately I no longer have pics of my warlock guitar and bass pair that used to have. But heres my pair of BC Rich eagles.

12. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009

Oh man, do I want that aluminum neck!

13. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    man, I'm "so close" with a match, but in style only :D As far as matching basses, lol I got plenty of that, but guitar-bass...not just yet ---

Time to buy a Black and maple Charvel to match the bass ;)
    P1010048.

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Why ask why? Especially if you play guitar and bass. It's all good.
    P1000045. SX_SSTSJB005. SX017.
    LPBSet.

15. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    :bag:

Is that so? :ninja:

16. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No wonder SX doesn't have the old headstock anymore, dabbler bought them all! Don't think I've ever seen a collection of mediocre basses (no offense, I want a SX fretless bad) worth $20,000+! That's before you even upgrade hardware, strings, get setups....! Really cool pics man. Would love to sit down and compare maple fretless with rosewood, natural vs COOL blue.....

17. TheRatt

TheRatt

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Now THOSE are matching basses and guitars. You couldn't get closer if you tried. OP showed us that.

18. [​IMG]

dick dale and his bassist. I've seen 'em live both playing gold glittered fenders.

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I dd that... these are the home studio "resident" instruments.

StudioPair.

20. My wife looked over my shoulder at this post (pretty nice by the way!) and said:

Gonna miss her. Then I can afford a matching Porsche!