Matt Garrison with Gary Husband Last Week

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 13, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Last Monday I saw Matt Garrison with Gary Husband's Force Majeure here's my small review

I didn't know what to expect with this band I'd heard of a lot of the members but not really hear dalot of the members and had no idea what they would be like live.

IT WAS AMAZING, Gary Husband was a fantastic entertainer for the night giving the band there due props all through the night.

The percussionist was out of this world literally, he kept making wierd noises with everything from his voice to a big pot filled with water that he did a solo on. I forget this guys name cause it is extremely long and difficult to say, but fantastic got his signture all 5 of them I think again a very strange man but still a very talented man.

Randy Brecker, this dude had an effects board as big as mine ON TRUMPET!!!!! some of his effects included a whammy and a ebs bass iq, so this was amazing I'm not normally a fan of trumpet it tends to be a bit loud and high for my bass loving ears but man this guy is amazing, he didn't seem to really be enjoying himself though, either way I don't care because he played his ass off.

The keyboard player was superb filling the night with ambience noises and then spectacular piano fills he also seemed to be the band leader/musical director in some parts when he was indicating to Gary how many time round they should do this and that part.

Gary Husband what can I say he is one of the best drummers I have ever seen, superb the man must have lightening fast feet to do some of the things he did, and then his piano an composition skills they are stellar his songs captivated the entire audience including my singer who had no idea what to expect having never listened to anything fusion like EVER we are now both fans for life.

Hehe now the bit you've all been waiting for MATT GARRISON, firstly for those of you who don't know this guy is one of best players on the planet, he's so groovy it hurts, his tone was beautiful but you can tell it's in his fingers and his just amplifys the tone thats inside this guy.

So after the blistering two sets and me spending 45 quid on the Gary Husband double dvd and the Matt Garrison Live cd/dvd, I has doing my usual please sign anything you can of mine.

So I got up to Matt Garrison and I got him to sign the dvd and his cd and the article opf him that is in this months Guitar World Bass Mag, and of course me being me I said "Matt can I touch your bass because I'll never see another Fodera again." so he let me on stage and picks up his bass, GAWD this thing is even nicer close up so I was just about to touch it when he slings it over my neck, I nearly died I HAD MATT GARRISON'S BASS ON ME!!!!!!!!!!, then he says try it out, I was in massive shock at this point, then he says hang on man let me turn the amp on.

So I ended up onstage at the Life Cafe for about 10 minutes playing Matt Garrison's Fodera Bass through his epifani amp and cab.

Attached Files:

2. Very cool, man! That's an awesome experience, I'm sure.

Anymore pics?
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was a cool experience. I'm not surprised that Matt Garrison was nice, so many really great and accomplished players are gracious. It's often the "kind of good" but not quite great/successful dudes that are often more insecure and unfriendly. Sorry, if I'm painting with too broad a brush.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Grrr.....I am. :)

Between this thread and urb_munki's, I cannot wait until June to see Matt live in my area (w/ Wallace Rooney.)
  5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    +1000, but my pedalboard still kicks your pedalboards ass... ;)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

You win!!! I've only just took a listen to him with open ears and I must say, I'm buying everything the cat has recorded. Prior to giving him a fair listen... I've heard stuff like this, he's just a nice guy!

7. Who needs pedal boards - when you have fingers...?
  8. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well as of yesterday I now need two boards so I'm catching up ;) but no amount of pedals is going to make me or you sound like Matt Garrison

FYI I think we both have a better distorted tone than Matt that Proco Rat I don't think was the sound he's after, I believe he was going for high gain guitar lead parts and to me he wasn't getting it with the RAT, but omg his spacey tones with the dl4 mmmmmmmmmmmm
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    How was the bass? Keeping an eye on one on ebay.
  10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    OT, and as NOT to start a flame war... My fingers can not create fuzz, sampler dealy, Reverb, or ring modulation - among others... But I still have gigs without them, as well as 10 students that i generaly teach without effects... :p

11. Cool - I was kidding a bit - I love good effects too - I have a few decent pedals, but I often get by without anything but a good bass and a good amp - I was mainly mentioning it as Matt G uses effects but very sparingly and generally sounds incredible with just a range of tones and textures created with his bare hands, no offence intended...

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thats cool man, no offence taken... Matt's use of effects is very tastefull and well placed... Its funny he uses a Rat for the reason he does. As he grew up among Jazz Musicans - almost all the jazz guitarists I know use a Rat for that kind of grind, must have rubbed off on him...

13. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I bet the percussionists name is Arto Tuncboyacian (might not be spelled right), he's on Matt's Live DVD too.

Matt is killer - an amazing musician and a fantastic personality!! I'm studying with him now at Berklee, he is definately doing some hip stuff.