1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

May 2009 BP Mag

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Apr 7, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Anyone else get this month's issue of BP? Im impressed. With the recent lay off of Bill Leigh, the magazine seems refreshed and new. I know Bill was a great guy, and did a fantastic job as EiC, but this month's magazine is incredible.

Phil Lesh
    Meshell Ndegeocello
    George Porter
    Jared Followill
    ... upon many others.

And including new reviews on:
    Sterling by Music Man
    Laurus T900 XR
    MXR M-288 OC pedal
    ... upon many others, including the Brubaker Brute, and Will Lee Sad. Sig.

The overall feel and look is much newer, hip, and overall uplifting compared to the monthly layout I am used to.

I out this in bassists because the post centers around a magazine for bassists, but move if necessary.

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Damn, beat me to the thread.

I just got mine and finished reading the story on Phil. About time they gave him a cover story, frankly.

3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I agree. I already read through that, Jared Followill (From Kings of Leon, one of my favorite bands) and Raphael Saadiq.

This issue just seems like the Uplift Mofo Party compared to the past issues.

4. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    My copy's not made it to the UK yet!

Normally it arrives when it arrives and I have a flick through and see what's what. Now I'm gonna be looking out for it (and if memory serves April's issue only came through the door about a week ago!).

Downer!

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ouch! You might be waiting a while then, my friend.

6. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    I thought this issue was to have the Readers Choice winners. I was personally looking foward to that.
    Is it me or did this issue feel a little thin, but I do like some of the new features. I do however feel the mag needs more in the woodshed department.

7. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    It did feel a tad thin, but its got more things crammed into it. Almost everything is rearranged, and styled in a new way.

Hell, even the font throughout the whole magazine is new. I love it!

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A second cover article on Lesh? Is anything different going on that triggered a need for another cover?

Just curious, but after the last time he was on the cover (around maybe 2003?), I haven't been aware that Lesh has made any new musics. But that's part of the reason for magazine, ain't it? To let us know what's going on.

jte

9. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    I guess it's in promotion for the string of dates and all the new tour stuff going on with the newly reunited Dead. You're right, there hasn't been much in the way of new music on his part.
    If they're doing cover stories about major bassists touring again..shouldn't we expect a Mike Gordon cover, or mention somewhere in the next few issues.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My gripe with Bassplayer magazine: Most articles these days read like a press release for the bassist current project that read like an actor on Jay Leno promoting his latest movie as the best work he's ever done.
    I know the print page is expensive these days, I would suggest putting the deeper part of a interview on-line so we could read it there. You would think George Porter would be on the cover over Lesh just by a sampling of how respected Porter is on this site, a pretty good demographic of their target readers I would say.
    That said......I still look forward to Bassplayer in my mailbox every month, and have been for twenty years.

11. Jonathan Herrera

Jonathan Herrera

May 21, 2003
    Couple quick things. First off, glad you guys dig the new look. We'll be refining it and rolling out new bits here and there over the coming months.

I think Lesh is an extraordinarily important and interesting bass player, whether or not the Dead are your cup of tea. Oh, and he's already been on it...June '00, off the top of my head. The current story is about the big new reunion tour and the development of his crazy new Ritter bass.

George Porter was on the cover Feb. '06. As for posting additional content from interviews online, we already do. Go to www.bassplayer.com.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hip? I dunno...personally, I did not really notice anything that much different.

I would like to see more things like the Me'shell article. That, IMO, would be a nice monthly feature-
    Pick a bassist & give some insight with a transcription of their classic grooves/lines...or some "deep cuts" that we may have overlooked.

When I saw Lesh on the cover...I said to myself, "Again"?
    But I see Jonathan saying it was June 2000 when Lesh was last on the cover. Man, where has the time gone?

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999

It must be a age thing, I do that all the time. I was just listening to a Metro album with Anthony Jackson and looked at the release date and it was '94, I still think of Metro as a newer band.:eek:

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I got my issue yesterday. It is more readable physcially- I don't know if it's the size of the type-face, a different font, more space between characters, but it's a lot easier to read most of it. I really liked the over-view and analysis of Meshell's work and the look at Rafel Sadiq's stuff too. The Lesh article was OK, but not as interesting as the 2000 cover article where they really got a lot more into the way he thinks of music. That's much more interesting to me than gear lists.

Interesting how some folks felt that Lesh on the cover was an "about time" thing and others (me included) felt it was a "what, again already?" thing. That's the problem a magazine faces- such a diverse pool of readers. And some folks think of the cover as a "tribute" or an accolade so only really great players should be on the cover. By that reason one would put Tommy Cogbill on the cover instead of say Fieldy. But what the cover is really about is getting people's attention at the book store or news stand, so they'll pick up the mag and hopefully buy it.

jte
    j

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    My local Barnes and Noble stopped carrying it a few months ago, but I just mailed out the check for a 2 year subscription. :hyper:

16. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I did not notice a huge difference. I love the mag, but come on. Basically we got an article about Lesh and not a lot more. How about a real interview with Meshell. I did enjoy the reviews of the gear. I thought it was informative, thats what I like since I don't live near a city with music stores. All in all a great magazine, I guess I just crave BASS stuff too much!! I would have liked the Porter article to be longer. he seems to be a huge factor in a certain style, comparable to Rocco or Jaco or Entwistle in his influence on a genre. he deserved more IMHO.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    BP has interviewed Meshell at least three times I can think of and maybe four. I really liked the article examining her famous basslines in the May issue. I found it useful in looking at the "The Way" and "Diggin' You (lika an old School Record)." I'll check out the other lines when I get time. I was a bit disappointed on the review of the new Sterling by Ernie Ball basses. other than mentioning their weight, and a slightly floppy B on the five string, it read more like a product announcement than a review to me.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually, the coolest thing in the current issue is the piece about Ralph Armstrong on technique. Armstrong is a true genius of the instrument who chose a more low profile career. I'm glad to see him being recognized again in BP. The bassline analysis of Raphael Saddiq is cool too. I also heartily approve of his list of favorite bassists with Bernard Edwards at the top of the list. Raphel Saddiq is a major forerunner of the new school of r&b bassists like Adam Blackstone and Owen Biddle, IMO.:bassist:

19. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    Sorry for the rant, I subscribed back in 88 or 89 era. Did not start getting them again until last summer. I just seem to see articles on guys who don't seem to have much of a library behind them. So then I look them up on youtube and they don't even have a cool style or chops. I guess all in all BP mag is great, I just need more of my hero's. MOre Info. way cool jonathan is on this post, nice to see that they are hearing us!!

20. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I wll admit, there is a lack of nice long articles. I read mine already, just since I started this thread.

Only thing I really, really dislike is the fact they removed the monthly piece for the Average Joe bassist. I always looked forward to checking out cats my age or a bit older. :(