Me likey-me no likey Les Claypool/Primus, why?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Robthebastard58, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Robthebastard58

Robthebastard58

Nov 21, 2015
    I do, been infatuated since '92. Me likey because there's just a carefree spirit to the music that's humorous, rhythmic, scary, and unnerving all while maintaining a watertight groove. You?

JackANSI and Impetus man like this.
  2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I liked them a lot in the 90s and saw them multiple times both as an opening band and headliner, but haven't really listened to their albums after Pork Soda. Borrowed Anti-Pop when it came out and wasn't into it. Not sure what they've been up to for the past ten years or so.

Robthebastard58 likes this.
  3. I like Claypools crazy playing style. Just not into his vocals that much. There's no variation at all.

4. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    South Park is cool.....i loved his style when I first heard it in the 90s but tired of his vocal style and lack of bottom in their sound. i much prefer RHCP, Fishbone and some of the funkier releases from the same time.

5. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    I've watched a fair few Primus vids on Youtube, like a couple of their songs. But I always love how crazy the crowds get. I think theres a show where Les is in a American Flag jacket at Woodstock(?) and the crowd is going nuts!

Love his style, not keen on the music (don't know what to make about the pig masks, they kinda freak me out lol) but his playing is brilliant which is why I have listened to him.

Primus sucks.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I like some of the stuff but not all of it. I like early Primus stuff then around Pork Soda he started to do two riff songs and I started to listen to something else, not enough variation for me, even his solo project or the latest Primus album have too many two riff songs, I need more variety.

7. I hated the freaking Willy wonka album everything else is pure genius

8. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    I love Claypool, he's the reason I picked up bass. He's also the reason why I use chords in songs, and how learning his material got me really good at tricky hammer ons.

Mktrat likes this.
  9. I was very much into Primus and Les Claypool during the 90s starting with Fizzle Fry. Not long after Pork Soda was released I just suddenly stop listening to them and I'm not sure why, maybe I just burnt out but I lost interest really quick, felt like overnight and I didn't listen to them at all for years. I returned to their catalog a few years ago thinking it would rekindle my interest and it did nothing for me. I guess they are just one of those bands that fit into a certain time in my life but not anymore.

10. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    @Big Heavy Bass stated exactly the way I feel about Primus today. Frizzle Fry, Sailing the Seas...., and then one day just stopped listening to them. I still think they're a great band, just not for me anymore.

Primus Sucks!

11. Kim Jong Funk

Kim Jong Funk

Jun 15, 2014
    Illadelphia
    ^^^^

What those two guys just said.

12. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Similar story to the last 2 posters. I grew up and lived in San Francisco and the peninsula, and first got into Primus in early 1990 when I saw them on the cover of BAM. Saw them a few times at places like Nightbreak, The Omni and Berkeley Square, bought the cassette of Frizzle Fry when it came out on Caroline records. Even ran into Les somewhere in Berkeley around that time, I think it was a Fungo Mungo show. Like the Cheese, got Pork Soda practically the day it was released and then they dropped off my radar, like almost instantly.

I don't know, but those early tunes are great and I still listen and watch their early live shows and the Frizzle Fry album but everything after that doesn't interest me much. I will say that I do enjoy his jams with Buckethead. That is some seriously sick guitar playing from that guy, and I remember him back when he was in the Deli Creeps, right about that same time, 1989-1990.

13. Impetus man

Impetus man

Feb 22, 2015
    Arizona
    "Hi, we're Primus, and we really suck. This might be a good time to go get a coke, or a hot dog, or something."
    Les Claypool-1989-Orlando, FL (opening for Rush)

I've been diggin' Primus ever since that night. Oysterhead was awesome. I even liked Duo De Twang and got his setlist from a show up in Colorado this year. He'd drawn cartoons on it!! What a cool dude, totally innovative,and every time I play his tunes....my hands hurt a lot. PROPS TO LES !!

exidor and Robthebastard58 like this.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Primus is cool. FFFB was a bit of a wank fest.

15. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I always liked the guitar playing the best

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I love that a band like this can exist and make it big.
    However, artistically I think everything original they had to say was done after 2-3 albums.

17. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    Isn't it common knowledge?
    Primus sucks!!

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I didn't pay much attention to Primus when they first hit the scene but later on I really came to like them. Mostly prefer the early albums like many others have mentioned here.
    I like Les' playing and use of effects and always appreciated his uniqueness. I have liked his other bands as mush as Primus, especially the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade and Oysterhead.

I saw him in concert on his "Of Whales and Woe" tour and it was a fantastic show, his band totally kicked ass!

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I really haven't listened much. Maybe I will.

20. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Also in general, Primus was just part of a great music scene in the Bay Area at the time, Primus, MIRV, The Limbomaniacs, off shoot projects like Ted Zeppelin (Limbomaniacs w/a different singer doing Ted Nugent/Led Zep covers), Mordred, Fungo Mungo, Psychefunkapus, Faith No More, MCM and the Monster (Jimmy Page on Junk!), Buckethead!

It sucks getting old :bawl:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021