1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Medium difficulty Reggae Bass Lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jkk17, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    So, my first post on these forum was asking for some Reggae Bass lines for beginners, a lot of people replied and I played some of those bass lines and really enjoyed it. Now that I'm starting to improve even more, I wanted some challenging but not too hard bass lines that could make me even better . THANKS

2. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    To help narrow down the suggestions can you let us know which easy reggae lines are you able to play well and if there are any you struggled with? The difficulty with reggae lines is less about the number of notes played but more about getting the right feel/vibe. This mostly comes down to having a good control over 16th notes and being able to play behind the beat when necessary. If you haven't yet, I would suggest working through all of the songs in the Bob Marley bass book. They are all great and understanding family man's lines will help build a good foundation for reggae playing.

Groove Doctor and Jkk17 like this.
  3. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Does that book include audio or just tabs?

4. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    The book includes tabs and bass clef notation. Can't recall if it includes audio, but the songs are all on spotify and other streaming platforms.

Jkk17 likes this.
  5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    A really fun "medium difficulty" exercise for you would be to continue learning "easy" reggae tunes, except this time, don't use TAB!

:)

Jkk17 likes this.
  6. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    That's actually a great idea!! I'll give it a try but I don't think I already have that trained ear :p

7. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    I saw a video on YouTube about Bob Marley reggae bass lines that bassists should know how to play and I really like it. I like Marley's bass lines so I will see if I can find more info about that book

8. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    This is a good list of commonly used basslines in reggae. No tab on this link, but its a good starting point of "standard" reggae riddims. Some of the links don't work anymore, but most do. You might be able to search for tab on these, some maybe not.

50 Most Used/Popular Riddims in Reggae

bass12 and Jkk17 like this.
  9. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thank you so much brother. It's always interesting to know about more stuff and artists. I really liked some musics and I'll see if I can find some tabs on the ones I liked because I still can't get basslines from ear

10. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    You can also search the name of the riddim on YouTube and see what other artists are using them. There may be live footage to help you learn if tab isn't available. You'd be surprised how many songs use these old lines.

Jkk17 likes this.
  11. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    That's a good idea too, it's easier if there's live footage. Thank you so much

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    You know there are types of reggae: one drop; dub step; rock steady, etc.

There’s plenty of ‘island music’ world wide to listen to as well.

Like the funk, reggae is just as much about what you don’t play as what you do.

Listen, play along and figure out what characterizes the rhythm.

Jkk17 likes this.
  13. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    I like different types of reggae and yes, I agree that there are a lot of subgenres. I would like to learn the foundations of reggae, the essentials

14. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Studio One was the most important label/studio in the history of Jamaican music, so checking out some Studio One compilations (the best are on the Soul Jazz label) will help you in that respect. Also, the Rough Guide to Reggae (the book) is probably the most incredible reggae resource in existence so find a copy if you can.

For some slightly more challenging bass lines take a listen to the album True Democracy by Steel Pulse.

Jkk17 likes this.
  15. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thanks for the advice :D

16. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    Hi, can you post the original thread as it would greatly interest me an I can’t seem to find it.
    I have a vast selection of reggae on vinyl if you want names of artists I would definitely check out LKJ and Eek a Mouse

Jkk17 likes this.
  17. 2000TA46032

2000TA46032

Aug 1, 2018
    Jkk17 likes this.
  18. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Easy Reggae BassLines

19. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
  20. huwnyc

huwnyc

Feb 19, 2019
    Hi, all I can see is pay $29.00 to someone for a course, is there not a thread with multiple comments and advise ?