1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meisel Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by grooveguru, Feb 28, 2008.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Can anyone tell me anything about these basses? I have one from the early 60's I believe. Is there a site to date these?

Label says C. Meisel

Made in Germany and includes a serial number.

Thanks in advance!

2. I believe some the 60's Meisel basses were made by Musima in East Germany. They also made the basses for Ideal Music in NYC with the name Eberle. Musima went out of business about 15 years ago.
    You could also check with the company of you have not already done that:
    http://www.meiselmusic.com/bass/basses.html

3. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Been there. They don't have records of dates and serial numbers. I was told mine was made sometime in the 50s.

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What's your serial number.

Mine is a 9000 model and the serial number is 5272

5. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    i havent played one that old, but ive played a few carved ones that came through the shop and they were pretty ok, the arco tone left something to be desired in my opinion

6. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Mine says made in West Germany Model 9005 3/4 Stradivarius Serial # 35.984

7. richhansen

richhansen Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    LowEndRick, you mentioned here that someone told you that your Meisel was made in the 50's. Was it the Meisel company who told you that?

I'm interested because I have a similar old Meisel - a fully carved 3/4 9900 model. I'm trying to find what year it was made. It has a label inside that says "Karl Meisel Model 9900 Geigen Bass Und Cellobau Made in West Germany Made In Mittenwald serial 17127". Since mine is a lower serial number than yours, I would assume that it may be older than yours, but I'm trying to find out. I wrote the current Meisel company, but they couldn't help.

How do you like your bass, by the way? I love mine.

Any help from anyone on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks

8. solomonbil

solomonbil

Apr 18, 2012
    Hi, I'm also looking to date my Meisel Model 9005 3/4 size upright bass. Serial # is 12,866 making it EARLY 1950s(?) or earlier than that? Just going by others' remarks on their age estimates. Any info. would be appreciated. BiL in New Orleans.

9. lowend54

lowend54

Nov 2, 2010
    Seems like there's not much info about these basses available.

I am also looking to see when my Meisel was made, model 9005 3/4 SN 18714
    Can any luthiers help?
    Thanks

10. cpas

cpas

Jul 29, 2007
    Marietta, OH
    I own a model 3600 serial # 24365. I've done a bit of looking around for the vintage of the instrument to no result. It is in fairly decent shape and a real pleasure to play. Perhaps something will turn up here regarding the history on these instruments?

11. cpas: I posted on this thread a few years ago that the Meisel ply basses since the 60's were made by Musima in East Germany. They are the same basses that Ideal Music in NYC sold for many years under the name "Eberle." However, I just checked the link I provided for Meisel and it no longer works.
    I don't know if the serial numbers were different for Meisel or not but my Eberle has a date of manufacture stamped on the bottom inside of the bass.
    Musima was state-owned and went out of business soon after the Berlin Wall came down. They also made guitars and cellos but could not compete with other worldwide manufacturers.