Melissa Auf Der Maur

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jason Dude, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jason Dude

Jason Dude

Feb 15, 2005
    How good of a bass player she is?Love the music just wondering
    is she any good on bass.
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    She's solid, and I liked her last album, though it was sometimes a bit too obvious who had written the track.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I agree with Vorago's comment. I noticed for a bassist's solo album, she was very very buried in the mix. Girls in rock have often been placed in a box, they are often given accoustic guitars and write angsty songs that have a really stupid pop feel, occasionally add a "rock" band behind her. Melissa's newest album is bad ass, You really can hear Josh Hommes influence on a few tracks, but all and all it's a rather unique album. She honestly rocks, she doesn't "rock... for a girl" she rocks. Very good album, her voice is awesome. Her bass playing... I did expect more... but she is solid. I do appreciate her album being for "lovers of sound" or whatever.
  4. I enjoyd what she did on Smashing Pumkins last album, but i imagine Billy Corgan would have wrote the bass on that album.
  5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    If you love the music, she's good on bass.
  6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I saw here supporting A Perfect Circle here in Manchester and she was brilliant I wish she'd come back and tour here album over here.

I quite like her album its started to get a bit old though after a lot of plays, its very classic rock in its approach but with a kinda darkness in the lyrics.

I do believe she also did a full Black Sabbath Cover/Tribute Album.

Oh yeah and she is alot hotter in real life, her website has lots of pics including some near naked ones for Calvin Klein. :ninja:

7. I saw her supporting the von bondies, her Ampeg rig was right near the front of the stage and I heard EVERYTHING she played.
    In all honesty? Pretty damn special. She obviously loves her instrument of choice, and has a great chordal way of playing when the vocals get priority.
    Yeh it's a shame the bass is a bit low on the record but I don't think it was intended to be a bassist's solo album, rather a band effort.
  8. so did she used to play with the smashing pumpkins and A perfect circle, or was she just a fill in or sumthing?
  9. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't she just play on the pumpkins tour? Didn't D'arcy play on the album?
  10. Either way, i'm sure Billy Corgan would have wrote all the bass lines for that album.
  11. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    [mod edit] watch it please [/mod edit]
  12. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Frankly I did not care for the Smashing Pumpkins, I liked what she did with Hole, I bought her new Album and it has some positively brilliant moments on hit. It is not a bass album, but then again it appears that she is smart enough to know her limitations, in other words she is not what I would call a musicians musician, rather she is a solid, working stiff kind of bassist, which works just fine with me. That actually impresses me way more than someone who goes out of his/her way to impress me with chops. :D
  13. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    And how many bananas did you need Bro?
  14. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    [Mod edit]not good....[/Mod edit]

15. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    True enough Brother, and I apologize but I do believe that level of respect applies to the musicians we are discussing as well, and your comment was not prefaced with "in my opinion."

Peace! ;)
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's not "IN MY OPINION" it's a copy/paste of the forum rules that the owner has asked each one of us to agree to when we sign up to use His website.

Please keep this on topic. any other discussion NOT about Melissa needs to be taken to PM
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey James, don't be rough on bass man, I think his "In My Opinion" comment was directed at Level42, but I could be wrong.

In regards to her playing with Smashing Pumpkins... it's strange, she was... louder back then. Which is strange when you are dealing with Billy Corgan. I love her playing on Ava Adore.

On a side note, it's rare that I get my girlfriend into any kind of music, but she loves this album.
  18. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    You are correct Bro. It was directed at level42.
  19. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I thought the recent Auf Der Mer album was pretty cool as well. Great voice! I also thought she was the defining difference in Hole for that one album. It is so superior to their other records from a vocal melody, harmony, and overall sound. I think the fact that she's played with HOle, the Pumpkins, and a Perfect Circle proves that she is a consumate pro who has been in demand for a number of big gigs. I'd not want to criticize the bass playing of someone who pulled all those gigs down.
  20. Give me a link to that website! lol :D