1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Melodic or Rhythmic?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lunardecay, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    Hello, I am Chris.
    Im the bass player/lead singer of my band, NOA.
    I was wondering, is it bad if my bass lines have far more relation to the vocals/guitar than the do drums?
    They tend to be more melodic than rhythmic, and I was wondering if this sort of void's my lines for not fuffilling the traditional bass niche?

2. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Preferably, your basslines should be both rhythmically interesting and melodic. In my opinion, rhythm ought to come first, then once you get a solid yet groovy rhythm in order, you can concentrate on adding color and taste to the line.

3. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    Oh, okay.

4. I usually associate my basslines with the chords played by the rythmic guitarist (using scales). Then I make it go with the drums (if the drummer plays a cymbal, well I play the octave note for example), and later I try to make it go with the singer and the lead guitarist, but you should make it go with the chords and the drums first.

5. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    No, it's not a bad thing. Peter Hook has done it for 30 years now.
    It's not conventional, but many people would argue that being unconventional in itself is a fine thing.
    The real question you should be asking yourself is- Does it sound good?

I'm very self consious of them same problem- but luckily people are more distracted by my heinous voice than my lack of groove..
    Practice enough so that you can mix up the bass rythm a bit whilst singing and it will become less of an issue. + you'll be better than me

6. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    Well basically my rhythm follows the same rhythm for the guitar (I also write more than half of our music (including lead guitar/rhythm and keys.)) and it does sound good.
    It sounds more like Im playing guitar on the bass though (even though I tend to use my fingers more than a pick), but were really luck to have a drummer who does a good job of accomodating the music while adding groove.
    My style is what you might hear if you added the simplicity of Punk bass-lines (eg, roots) and then fused it into a walking bass line.
    Basically I use alot of anticipation with my lines.
    Some are pretty groovy though I guess, but generally they flow at a steady pace.

7. whats your full bands name??

8. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    NOA, it doesnt stand for anything.
    We are an experimental rock band, and wanted a really general name as to not be stereotyped.