1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 2x12 - hmmm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletz, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So I went to my local guitar center to find a combo amp for practice. My main rig is an ampeg410hlf and a genz Benz shuttle 12. Too big for most places. So I wanted to spend $500 for a combo that I could also use in small places. Looked very closely at an ampeg b115hp and was thinking I would go with it then saw a Mesa powerhouse 212 on sale for near the same price. What do you all think? Which way to go? Get the Mesa and use my gb head at practice and live. Use one of the cabs to keep at rehearsal and the other in the garage ready to go live? Or go with a $500 ampeg combo (which seems to weigh almost as much as the Mesa)

I know personal pref yada yada. I'm weighing that too but would love my bass family's opinion.

2. Have you pick up the 212? If you are looking for a easy grab and go, it may not be what you want either.

3. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa Florida
    Just be aware of the Ohmage on the 2x12 Boogie cab I picked up a nice cheap 8ohmer and it cut my BigBlock power down to 280watts!! didnt even consider that would happen- till it happened! =P
    Great cabs though- Hard to beat a Boogie..

4. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa Florida
    The Genz drops to 375watts.@ 8ohm., looked it up....

5. The word you are looking for is impedance.

6. +1

Could be 8 OR 4 ohms, best to double check it's what you want.

I play Mesa cabs (610 or 412) and I'll tell you that the Mesa 12's kick some serious @$$. You really gotta bring your GB head down there (especially considering it's a lightweight!) and try it out through the cab. The Mesa cabs have the perfect 'sound' for what I'm going for, and if you want an aggressive but fat/punchy tone then I'd really suggest checking out their cabs.

7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I'm playing classic and alt rock covers. I'm wondering if the Mesa would bump me off my Ampeg 410hlf! :)

8. From the title I thought you had a Mesa 212 that was humming :)

9. I think it could, man. A pair of these things would be devastating.

10. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    If it's just a small practice amp shouldn't 374 watts be more then enough?

11. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Abso-smurfly

12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    May pick up the Mesa today.

13. I absolutly love my Mesa PH 212's.

14. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Anyone compare it to an ampeg 410 hlf?

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Is there a chance to try your bass and your gb head out at a band rehearsal before you buy?

I have a pair of PH212's and IMO they're great cabs.

16. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    The price I can get is $500. New. Thoughts? Worth it just to have at that price?

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    $500 for a new PH212 is a good price IMO. IIRC I paid $650 each for mine in 2011. I've never gigged an Ampeg 410HLF; I've only played through one in a few music stores, so I can't compare the two.
    IMO the only real way to find out if a piece of gear is going to work for me is to try it on a gig.

18. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So I A/B'd the ampeg and Mesa in the store and found the ampeg to be brighter and the Mesa to be a little more articulate at the bottom. Both sound fantastic of course but I kept leaning toward the Mesa. Gonna probably pick it up next week and maybe sell my ampeg to reface this riddle again!

Does Mesa make a matching 115? ;)

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa makes a 115, but the only "matching" cab to a PH 212 is another PH 212.

20. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Are you saying another cab with a 212 won't add or improve? I could see that.