1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400+ Case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboysam, May 8, 2010.

1. Can anyone reccomend a soft case or cover that would fit a Mesa 400+? I saw the Gator 4U gig bag and I think that should fit the Mesa but I have to check the dimensions. Any other suggestions? I don't really need a hard case and don't want to add extra weight.

2. Until the amp gets dropped or knocked over! During transit an amp needs all the protection it can get.

Paul

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    http://www.studioslips.com/

I use an SKB 4U case with the left side panel removed. That leaves a nice big hole for the cooling fan to take in air. A bit heavier and certainly more bulky, but it's pretty handy and the amp's not getting all bashed up like it used to.

4. I get my covers from TUKI covers, they're on the web. You just send them the dimensions and they make it, super nice covers . They're in South Carolina, 843-760-0450.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    A 400+ is big enough and heavy enough that it really wants to live in a rack, not a bag or cover. When I had mine, it started in a deep 4 space Mesa shock rack. After that It went into a standard sized road case...a 5 space so I could mount a rack tuner and also give it ventilation room.

It will fit into a standard 4 space SKB, which is light, but as has been noted, you'll have to plan-B some additional side ventilation for it.

6. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    the gator cases have a little more clearance than the skb ones. all of my pa stuff is in skb (which i finally realize is a bit of a travesty, but that is the way i went, and the modular aspect of doing it that way is kind of useful for smaller stuff). the mesa only had like a 1/4" space between the wall and the fan, and that just didnt seem adequate.

now my 400+ lives in a shallow 4U gator case---it is the same depth as the amp (so, smaller than most cases) and between the top and the sides there is enough space for good airflow--- i tested it in depth before i mounted it, and further over the next 100 or so shows that ive played since it has lived there. highly recommend. it is light but pretty tuff, reasonably inexpensive, and offers way way better protection than a bag or slip cover could ever dream of. i mean, it probably wouldnt survive a roll down a concrete stairwell--- a shock-mounted case would fare much better. but since i have no roadies, i carry my own gear, and *if* that is about to happen i will have more to worry about than the amp, cuz i am probably going to be rolling down the stairs with it! :hyper::help:

this one:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GR4S/

7. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Any recommendations on where to get a shockmount case for one new? I have seen them for sale occasionally but that's about it.

8. do you have any pictures of what it looks like with the panel removed? I don't understand how that works.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I used a Gator case for years with mine, and just drilled holes in the panel underneath the side handles for ventilation. Worked a treat, never a single problem.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The handle on either side of the rack is attached to a reinforcing structural panel. You can unscrew all that and remove it on the cooling fan side. It's not the most elegant solution but I like it because it's reversible.

A shallower rack would be nifty. (I got mine for $25 at a swap meet, so I couldn't get too picky.)

11. Anyone?

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Completely useless to you but I had a headcase made and then flightcased that, making the whole thing far heavier but it looks sooooo cool.

255nurt.

13. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I use a Road Runner effects rack that I bought used here. The case is solid and fits the Mesa like a glove. The back of it stops right at the rear rack and there is plenty of clearence on the top and sides. When I used the skb roto there wasn't enough clearence on the sides and the amp and case would get blazing hot. But in the Road Runner the whole amp stays cool.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know that you'd rather save the size/weight, but if you can find them, the Mesa SUS-4 shockmount racks really are the best for rackmountable tube heads, IME/IMHO:

IMG_6783.

IMG_6787.

115_1505.

115_1509.

15. +1^ for SUS-4s

I've had a rolling "8" and still have a "4". The 4 was well used when I got it, and is entering it's 10th year of use w/me.

It has seen both coasts a few times. Bulletproof.

16. SUS-4 from Boogie is not the lightest alternative, but it is a thing of beauty from an isolation standpoint. When you have a tube count like the 400+, this matters to you.

17. Thanks for all the advice and reccomendations everyone, but no one has answred my question. Which rack would fit the Mesa from the ones I listed above? I am not sure what points I need to measure between on the amp.

Although the Mesa case is ideal, I really don'y want to spend that much money.

18. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    The first and third ones will definitely fit. I'm not 100% sure on the shallow X rack, though. All standard-depth racks are fine.

If you want to know if the shallow rack will work, you'll need to measure overall depth of the Mesa (from the metal handles to the back of the head), AND measure from the rack ears to the back of the head, and make sure the depth from the shallow case rack rails to the back cover isn't too shallow.

19. Bunyo

Bunyo

Jan 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL

I have the 1st one on top. It fits very well but on hot days it starts to smell like it was burning. I've changed fan for hi speed and now its OK, no smell. Beside this it looks little weird with Mesa, but I got used to it, and now I even like it.