1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa cab set up ?????'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by L-1000_Guy, May 9, 2010.

1. L-1000_Guy

L-1000_Guy

May 8, 2010
    Hi I'm new around here and in general new to setting up a bass rig. Been mainly a guitar player over the years that has always had a bass laying around. Well about a year ago I started putting in more time on my four string and up graded from a 80's G&L SB-2 to a 90's L-1000. I never really had a real bass amp and last week bought a M-Pulse 600 head and now looking for a cab.

Alot of good advise here, but I'm seriously caught and flip flopping between a big single cab {PW1200 or PW610} as they are the bang for the buck on the used market, but the idea of a couple single PW210's or a PW210 + PW115 seams to be a very flexable multicab set up.

Any advice out there cause this is crazy. Never have I had a new toy that I can't use. I have a new PW115 local, but PW210 needs to be shipped from the mid west along with any of the big cabs.

Also if I were to go small cab set up the PW210 would be the better first buy cab, right?

Thanks,
    DAVE

2. 19s

19s

May 9, 2010
    Depends on how much you can/want to lug around, and what type of sound you're after.

I have the same head, and run the PW1200 (4x10 + 15 & horn.) The multiple handles and wheels are a plus to help move it around, but its quite heavy and awkward at times to get it where I need to. (The low end from this cab REALLY carries.)

If you go with this, make sure you're willing to tote it around, and that you get it in 4ohm config.

If you go with the 2x10 and 1x15, it'll be easier to move, but with multiple trips. You probably wont have the same type of sound either. If you like your highs, and being really bright, you might not want this option. If that's something you don't care too much for, then the 2 cab setup may be what you're looking for. Just make sure to get these in 8ohm config so you can use them both. A 4ohm config with the 2 cabs would put you to a 2ohm rating, which the amp can do, but you wouldn't want to run it this way for a long period of time.

On a side note, careful with that semi-para eq. Go easy on it, and take your time. Step away for a bit and come back to it later, and see if you still like how it sounds. I found it easy to get carried away with, and before I knew it, I went back to flat/the drawing board.

Hope this helps.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First, a big +1 to running that amp flat, with only minor tweaks either way. And, about the cabs, I'm a guy that prefers a single big cab over 2 smaller ones, so that's gonna be up to your preference. I will say, obviously, if you go with one cab, make sure it's 4 ohms, and if two, both at 8 ohms. Otherwise, totally up to you which way you go. Good luck.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I agree with the others about multiple cabs = multiple trips... I *used* to gig with a 410+210 setup, but eventually ditched them in favor of a 610 - and have never regretted the move... I have the Mesa PH 610, and like it very much - I like alot of lows, yet plenty of highs, and a clear voice in a band mix - and the PH 610 gives me that in spades... I've A/B'd it against the PH 1000 and PH 1200, and feel the 610 is a much better cab than either of those... The only cab I'd consider as an alternative to my PH 610 is the PH 412 - it's a great cab... Another killer cab to look at is SWR's Goliath Sr, btw - and they can be had for a good price on the used market...

The rig on the left is my typical gigging rig:

Rigpics.

5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    For a more portable, but still loud and proud rig...

Attached Files:

6. L-1000_Guy

L-1000_Guy

May 8, 2010
    Thanks guys. I know what you mean about trips and lugging heavey stuff around. I have also been keeping in mind the clubs here. Some places that have original music let you rip it up volume wise and others {mainly cover clubs} keep you turned down so much I bought a couple 5watters to have a good low volume guitar tone.

Can you tame 55-60 inches of paper to perform in smaller places?
    This is one of my concerns with a 610 or 1200

My sound? I guess I'm after classic bass tones at this time. I have really dug deep to try to remove myself as a guitar player while playing bass. While I'm really a punk/metal/surf/roots rocker classic Waylon, Flying Burrito Bro's {I wish}, and such basslines really turn me on and think are great place to come from. Not that I'm totaly shying away from the soloist idea, but right now I'm really after learning my place.

DAVE

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    if you are only looking for Mesa cab, than - pw412, or 2x pw212

they are more "middle of the road", and can cover what most would describe as "old school" tone

8. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I play in two bands... one mainly reggae and the other more roots rock will a punk rock undertow and the Powerhouse 212 handles both with aplomb.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Of course - you've got a volume knob, right???

- georgestrings

10. I've had Mesa a PH210, PH212, Diesel series 410/115 combo cab, 215 and still have the 115 210 diesel series. My fav is the 210/115 diesel, FWIW.

11. L-1000_Guy

L-1000_Guy

May 8, 2010
    I'll have to give that PW212 another listen today. Last time I played a MarkBass F1 {not my tubey sound, but good enough} through a PW410 & PW212 and felt the Pw410 was better sounding. I'll try it with a M6 or take my head in.

Matt Dean I like your "...repping northern cali hippy, jam, roots, funk, rock, reggae, trance, dance music." thing.

I used to play in a band that I described as a alternative country, roots, punk, goth rock, punk, metal, surf band. People were always interested in which band we were gonna be on any given night, but mainly centered around the roots/country/surfy thing.

Proulx, one of my fav bass players I played with used P-bass into 400+ and a Diesel 2x15RR. Back when you had to rock the places. No matter how loud I got that dude could crush me!

12. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    P-bass into 400+ and a Diesel 2x15RR = βΘИΞКЯŲŜĦÏИĞ

13. L-1000_Guy

L-1000_Guy

May 8, 2010
    Well, I call the local shop that had a PW115 in stock. Mentioned I had a nice Marshall 4x12 cab I was interested in moving. To my surprise the store owner was more than a little interested and told me to come down. His eyes totally lit up when I rolled it in the store. Long storey short. I pulled a straight up trade for a new PW115 which i was very happy with.

So,I guess I'm going with a multi-cab set up.

35ar5v9.

Wow, what a world of difference a real amp makes.

Glad to hear that. I'm on my way!!!!

DAVE

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    That is one sweet rig! I have a pair of Mesa 115 cabs and they sound so good. if you are getting a second cab, I cannot recommend another identical 115 more. You may not even need another one but two identical cabs sound huge!

15. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I agree with Crabby... If I was in your shoes, I would pick up another Powerhouse 115 and run two 15s with that M-Pulse. It would totally kill!

:bassist:

16. Mesa 15" are generally great cabs. There is some kind of optical illusion that makes it seem like their 15"cabs are tiny. So they are ecen more surprising at how loud they get! I run a mesa 15" with another brands 2x12. When I have more dough I will probably trade it in (or CL it) towards a Mesa 2x12.
    The Aguilar 2x12 is nice as well.

BTW Mesa bass gear is the opposite of mesa guitar gear in a couple of ways.
    It's a lot cleaner, it usually places emphasis on ball busting large rigs (classic mesa guitar rig,the Mark series combos), and you can find used mesa bass stuff for deals all the time. Used mesa guitar stuff costs tons.

17. L-1000_Guy

L-1000_Guy

May 8, 2010
    Thanks guys. I'l keep in mind the dual PW115 set up here in a month or so. This is really a step in the right direction. The sound is blowing me away. I'm on lunch and had to play for a couple mins. Can't waite to make it down to a drummers house later this week.

As far as used Mesa gear. I have done the Mesa guitar amp stuff more than a couple times and yes your right the price stays up there. I scored the head used for a very fair deal if you ask me. The Hcab looks like it was never used as it still has the Flag Sticker and powder on the rubber feet. I was serioulsy looking at the big Mesa cabs because of the value. Still very happy with this.

18. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you go for the PH1200, just be sure it will fit in your car!

19. 19s

19s

May 9, 2010
    Very true, the 1200 will BARELY fit in the hatch of a CRX or the back of a 2004 focus 4 door. Just to give you an idea, its not as tall as you would think, but is deeper than it appears. Do some measuring for sure.

20. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Our band used to have a big ass van we moved all our equipment in, but it has since broken down beyond the point of repairing, and now my cab is stuck at our jam space without any way of moving it. Since it doesn't fit through the back doors on my Sunfire, I'm forced to use my cheap-o 410 at gigs instead. It's a major bummer to have all that cab sitting around with no way of getting it to gigs!