1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MESA Factory Tour

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Growler, Aug 31, 2008.

1. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    While on vacation a couple weeks ago, I noticed the highway sign said I was coming to Petaluma soon. I thought, "Hey, Mesa is here, let's see what the GPS has." and punched it in. Sure enough, in a couple miles/minutes we pulled up in front of Mesa.

I walked in and asked the receptionist if we could have a tour. She said sure and called someone. In a couple of minutes, Kris Dilbeck from Customer Service came out and introduced himself and gave us a tour of the plant.

Mesa is not a huge operation with regular factory tours and a gift shop, but Kris was very friendly and helpful to take us "drop-ins" around the shop and show the details of what they do and how. It was very interesting and impressive to see the craftsmanship and testing that was done at each stage to ensure a quality product goes out the door. Each unit is tested several times, burned in for 24 hours and even played before they let it go to its new owner.

The cabinet guys also do some nice work, and it was interesting to see all of the different options including embossed leathers and premium wood finishes being done.

Each Mesa/Boogie amp or cabinet is built when ordered. None are built and then sit on shelves in the warehouse waiting to be ordered. This explains the 4 -6 weeks you'll wait to get one, unless your dealer ordered one for store stock. Custom finishes, etc. can add another four weeks while your baby is being built.

I thought it was pretty cool that they were that open to us just dropping by and then show us around. Now, if my wife will just pick up on the hints about the M6 Carbine for Christmas....

2. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That is awesome man. I've always wanted a mesa set up but lack the funds right now to do so but hearing this makes me want a mesa even more.

3. Great stuff!

4. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

Nice to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

5. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Did you took any picture? I'd be interested in seeing that!

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I did the tour a couple years ago; those folks at M/B are great and the way they build amps is more akin to Hi End audio gear.

Did you get to see the museum with all the cool stuff like the snake skin amps that were at Woodstock '69? :)

7. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

What?! A museum? No. :crying:

Please tell me you're kidding.

Anyway, yes, you're right. They do go with a high end approach. Great to see.

8. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    I should have asked, but I didn't. Sorry.

9. It's good to know such care is taken at Mesa. All that green I spent on my Walkabout Scout seems almost justified. :p

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Muahahahaha.

Excellent...

11. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    I was in Petaluma once and I didn't know about the Mesa Factory.

Needless to say, I had a lot of time to myself that day. :bawl:

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    sorry for OT post- Growler, what bass is that in your avatar?.....Hamer Monaco? I've never seen one in that color if it is.

13. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sweet, I'd love to take the Mesa tour, but alas, I'll be in Memphis early next year, for the Gibson tour. (they have a gift shop)

15. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I love my MESA Powerhouse 2x10 and want to go all MESA cabs...

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Um, not kidding. :p

17. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    call up the CS rep and tell him u were unsatisfied that he didnt show you the museum and ask for a free scout :D

18. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I was nice when Ampeg had that level of testing and detail as well.

19. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I wonder what the place looked like back in '88 when my Bass 400 was built...

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sorry, but there is no Mesa museum.

Randall did have one old snakeskin Boogie in his office at one point, but that was about it. Mesa isn't about reveling in it's past - note the lack of re-issues, minus the Mark I. They've never had an interest in making a museum.

I enjoyed my time working for Boogie. They are all great dudes there, all the way down to the guys putting leather corners on the amps (which is really hard to do, by the way). The're pretty serious about making sure that everything that goes out is top notch. I've seen them shut down the production line over minor quibbles like vinyl coverings not being perfect or handles not being seated properly. Sure, it's impossible to make a perfect amp every time, especially when you make 100 a day, but they try their hardest.