1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa M6 Carbine Mega Thread part 3:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    in..........

3. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Who's using an M6 or M9 with a Powerhouse 1000/1200? What are you impressions? I'm thinking of picking one up, but haven't had the opportunity to try one.

Tomservo-Crow likes this.
  4. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    in; first page. :bassist:

5. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Tried one out, If you're going with a big cab check out a ph4x12. I love it.

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

How about showing some M9 love and including it in the title? :eyebrow:

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Vic, thank you for weighing in on the Epi S2 question.

You know me and my love for Sadowsky's. So there aren't a lot of basses with clearer tone.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    No problem, and as long as we're on that, yeah, I've played all four of my most recent Sadowsky basses through that rig... the ash/ebony 24-Fret 5 I used to have, and my current Metro ash/maple PJ5, my NYC/HC ash/maple JJ5, and my older NYC/SC ash/maple JJ5 through that rig... in short, "Yeah, get on that". :)

9. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    2-1.

Recently switched from Aguilar to Mesa Boogie. I went with the Carbine 600 and Powerhouse Vintage 212 cabs. I played with the amp a bit at NAAM but I forgot how fast this thing is. There's no lag at all. Either with slap or fingers it just responds. Still nice and warm with great mids and smooth highs. I'm really happy with it so far.

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Sweet rig you've got there!

:bassist:

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Just picked up an M6 yesterday in a trade. Extremely impressed with it. It sounds especially good with Scout Radiator cabs.

12. radiohead860

radiohead860 Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    After feeling that the TC Electronic RH450 wasn't the right amp for me, I picked up an M6 on Friday and LOVE this amp. I got to try it out at practice this evening and everyone was saying how much they dug the sound. I barely got the amp past 9 o'clock on the master volume (12:00 on gain) and was plenty loud with my SR5. One thing I love about this amp is the ground-shaking power (even without using the deep bass setting). I definitely heard what all the hype was about :)

13. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Picked up a Powerhouse 1000 to pair with the M6 this week. All I can say is Wow! That cab can put out a lot of sound. Definitely a nice match with the M6.

14. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    question: i just got an M6. I have 2 ampeg 4x10 Cabs (8 ohms each) --- Do I wana daisy chain the 2 cabs together from 1 spkr output? Or run one spk Cable from each output to each cab?

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I've done it both ways, both for 4 and two ohm.
    Use two outputs, daisy chain together.

I don't believe it matters.

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It only matters if you're using really really crappy small gauge speaker wire, and that are unnecessarily long. Then again, if you're doing that, you just need to be slapped anyway. ;) :D

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    swerve:
    vic, i emailed my phone #; call if you want.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I run my M9 with a PH412 and it is the best combo I have heard yet. I liked the Powerhouse1200 cab I tried but side by side comparisons with the PH412 convinced me the 412 was the way to go. The 1200 sounded kind of muddy and boomy compared to the outragiously tight 412

19. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    There needs to be an M9 mega thread separate of the M6. :)

20. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks for the info. I actually ended up picking up a used PH1000 in near mint condition for a decent price. I do find that it can get a bit boomy, but not nearly as much as the GK 412's I had. So far I'm pretty happy with it.