1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Mesa Subway D800+ for Doom / Metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selehpotsihpem, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    Anyone here using a Mesa D800+ for a doom / metal sound by running heavy distortion into it?

My rig is a Peavey T-40 > Darkglass B3K (for overdrive) > Darkglass Alpha Omega (stacked with the B3K for heavy distortion) > amp > Barefaced Six10.

My amp has been a revolving door for a while: Sunn 1200s (the Fender hybrid), Acoustic B1000HD, or Kustom KXB500. I wanted to move to something very modern forcreluability so I snapped up a Mesa D800+.

Any tips from anyone with experience running heavy dirt into one of these?

Thanks in advance. Also, Sunn 1200s for sale in Chicago....

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. The 800+ is a great amp but I would have tried to get the wd800 for the tube warmth playing doom that just my personal taste though. Either way have a blast that 800+ is a mean piece of kit

3. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I have a D800+ I run through either an Ampeg SVT-410HE with Basslites or a Barefaced Super Compact (soon to be two Super Compacts). I don't play with any overdrive pedals, but I like the subtle dirt of the onboard preamp.

The only advice I can share is to try comparing the amp's DI both post and pre EQ with the Alpha Omega's DI for your front of house send. Overdriven tones going DI sound different than they do through a voiced cabinet so it's worth comparing your options there. You may even want to try a variable low pass filter pedal (to compliment the D800+'s onboard high pass filter) to fine tune your overdriven sounds to be DI friendly. That said, if you mic your cab live, you're probably fine!. That sounds like a formidable setup you have there!

4. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks! Could I trouble you for your base settings on the amp? We’re recordjng in a couple of weeks so I need to fast-track dialing this thing in.

5. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Here's how I usually have mine set. I plug straight in with fairly hot output passive Jazz or P basses and I get a nice bit of preamp growl. The highpass and voicing get tweaked depending on the cabs, but they hover around these settings, for me.

IMG-1999.JPG

eff-clef likes this.
  6. NotTylerHendley

NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    I think Ron from Bongripper used them before switching to the Darkglass head.

He has one of the gnarliest dirt tones I’ve ever heard (read: Fuzzrocious)

7. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    That’s really funny. I ran into him at my old practice space and he used to run the Sunn 1200s too, and he used to have a Oeavey T-40 w/EGC neck as well. I guess I should skip straight to the Darkglass head?

hintz likes this.
  8. NotTylerHendley

NotTylerHendley

Nov 21, 2011
    He’s running distortion into the Microtubes head. I have the head myself and I LOVE it. But to keep it towards your original question:

FWIW, I don’t play doom - just silly math rock.

hintz likes this.
  9. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    Honestly I don’t play doom either. I don’t even really like doom. I love the thick distorted bass of doom, but hate that “blanket-over-the-cab” sound.

I don’t know what the hell we play honestly.

fat_nermil likes this.
  10. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    If anyone cares, the Mesa shaging slays. Huge bottom end, that open clarity really comes through.

Best sounding amp I’ve played. It was clipping the whole time, hopefully that’s not an issue down the road...

chaosMK and agedhorse like this.
  11. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I believe the manual says the output Limit LED can blink up to 25% of the time with a 4 ohm load and you'll be just fine. It has a soft clipping overdrive circuit in the power amp designed to handle being pushed gracefully.

eff-clef likes this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct.

eff-clef likes this.
  13. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    Seems odd to be that it’s clipping so hard. I’m pushing it to put out some sound, no doubt, but no harder than my Sunn 1200s or Acoustic B1000hd...

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    When you say clipping, what exactly do you mean?

15. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    The Limit LED is lit.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Ok, the amp's not necessarily clipping because there is output tube emulation circuitry operating when this LED is lit, but in general this LED should not be on more than 25% of the time when you are playing. 40% might be ok at 8 ohms, but note that the amp can deliver greater than it's rated power under these conditions so you want to be sure your speakers are (really) rated to handle this.

eff-clef likes this.
  17. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    I have a Barefaced Six10 so I’m not worried about that.

But, shag. I love the way it sounds and really don’t want to give up volume either. Son of a bitch. I really feel like an amp with that much power throug such an efficient cab should be able to keep up no sweat.

I guess I need to re-evaluate my situation. I don’t want to kill my amp but the wa it’s going right now just sounds so great.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Is the LED on all the time?

19. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    It fluctuates pretty rapidly when playing with my heavy distortion (which is much of the time)

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Maybe back off just a little bit?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021