Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meshuggah "I" ep..

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lackey, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Releases July 13th.

Well, I've read some reviews and heard a clip, I'm ecstatic! Sounds like it may be the fastest material they've ever created. No doubt some devious rhythms and chops in it as well.

Comments? Concerns?

I'll post a review tomorrow, assuming BestBuy's pathetic rear end is gonna have it.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Woohoo! I didn't know about this. I will be heading to Amoeba tomorrow. :bassist:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Meshuggah = teh pwned.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome, I'll have to stop and get it today.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, once again my faith in music stores is destroyed. BB, CC, B&N, Wherehouse, nope. And apparently our Sam Goody has been eviscerated from the mall.

...on the prowl...

If anybody has heard this yet, please post your review!

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Can you see the clip somewhere?

7. I went out looking for it and haven't found it, not even in the internet... are you sure is out???

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have question that isn't worth starting another thread about, I have the "Chaosphere" album, and it's... OK, but a tad repetitive/boring. How does the rest of their material hold up against that.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Heathen.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Chaosphere is some of my favorite work of theirs. It's killer.

However, it's not their most accessable work either. None and Destroy, Erase, Improve are easier to get into, and don't appear to be as repetitive/boring.

Meshuggah is one of those bands that you listen through, not just listen to. Remember that next time you spin Chaosphere.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Hey, as you know from my other thread, I'm not John Q. Tool fan, so I have a valid opinion. :D

I dig it (rarely), I enjoy the reoccouring lead theme (ooh, so prog) and track 7 (which has a lengthy odd name which escapes me) is always a favorite. The abstract lead guitar over the crazy polyrythms = enjoyable. But all in all, a very repetitious album.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know what you are saying, but "listen through" suggests forced listening. What's the point. :D

I know I know, under that Chaos (ho ho ho) is very complex rhythms, but I could have complex polyrhythmic music that I like more.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Repeating a story, the first time I listen to the album all the way through, I was in a room with a strobe light, some coat hangers and a bucket of water. Incredibly fun.

I wasn't high.

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    http://www.uraniummusic.com/albums/album.php?id=171

Review, sample clip is at left underneath cd artwork.

www.meshuggah.net has the release date info as well.

I may be forced to look for it at Virgin Megawhore. :D Ridiculous prices, but they do have good selection.

Matt Till: While I love Chaosphere, it is probably their least accessible album. I would recommend Nothing or Destroy Erase Improve as easier albums to get into.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I do conceptually like Meshuggah, so I'll check out more of their stuff.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed. It's one of those things that becomes so dense, you kinda gloss over it in your head, and don't realize these guys are all monsters.

New Millenium Cyanide Christ is still on of my favorite songs. And a killer music video as well.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hah! That's a great video! Screaming ito a little red ballpoint pen: classic.

I will agree somewhat that it seems repetitive for the uninitiated. But since the guitars and drums are typically in different time signatures, it's not so repetitive as it is convoluted. It turns over and over upon itself, each part pulling further away from each other and then slowly coming back together. It's a big element in Gamalean music; King Crimson explored (and continues to explore) this concept in their music as well.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But Meshuggah aren't a bunch of wusses.

19. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    What do you guys think of "I"..? I think by far its the best song yet from Meshuggah... You've gotta love the part about 10-12min in the song..! :bassist:

Wow!

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I bet they don't eat crumpets.