1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Messed up fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllenBass7, Feb 16, 2008.

1. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I have a (untill now) mint condition vintage Gibson G-3.
    I think it has about $1700 in resale give or take.
    and I think I just messed up my fretboard:rollno:

It's a maple fretboard and I have this cleaner for it. I rubbed it onto the board as I've done countless times before and I was letting it sit for a few seconds while I put the cleaner on the body of the bass. I was wiping down the body and I got called upstairs to go out to eat. I got home and looked at my fretboard and instantely noticed that something was SERIOUSLY wrong. all the places where the cleaner had goten past the finish and touched the wood it turned it a dark grey color! So I read the back of the bottle and it says 'Do not use on Maple Fretboards'. I'd used it dozens of times before and it's done nothing but good but this time I forgot to wipe it off right away and I'm worried that I may have caused irreversable damage to it:crying:. I rubbed it down as hard as I could 'till the thing was hot to be sure that all the cleaner was off...

and I don't think there's much else I can do:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Is there????????????
    PLEASE GOD TELL ME THAT THERES SOMETHING I CAN DO!

2. Aren't most maple fretboards clearcoated? I'm thinking that when you used this stuff before, it didn't sit long enough to penetrate the finish- but letting it sit too long allowed it to get through to the wood, & stained it. Call it mojo & jack up the price(assuming you ever want to sell; if not, play it & don't look at the fretboard).

3. I had the same thought, but without pics it's hard to know for sure. Can you post a few shots?

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    there is a product called "de-greyer" or something, wood that has turned grey can be cleaned with it... not sure if it will help at all, but worth looking into maybe?

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I can't help you or give any advice, but I wanna say reading that post sent shivers up my spine.

Sorry to hear about your bass dude! :(