1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meteora Bass project - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikewalker, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Two Pickups? (location to be tweaked)

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Three pickups?

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. FOUR pickups (not the crazy version...)

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Carrot Sticks instead of JB pups - use piezo bridge!

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I have more than a dozen brand new really nice Jazz Bass pickups left over from my big Jazz Bass Side-by-side humbucker shootout. (The one that I still haven't got around to editing together for youtube) :oops:

And I have boxes and boxes of bass hardware laying around, and now a brand new Starcaster neck on the way. I can't really finalize a drawing until the neck gets here and I can verify the string spacing, but I have been working up some very rough concept sketches.

I'm just wondering what might be the most interesting layout for pickups ( I have lots of them here, mostly "short" neck size).

Two?

MeteoraBass_Concept00.png

Three?
    MeteoraBass_Concept01.png

FOUR? :)
    MeteoraBass_Concept02.png

Color probably won't be Fuchsia or Hot Pink, I'm actually leaning towards maybe a Lime Green Metalflake. Really have to wait until the neck gets here, and see what might be a complementary tone. Open to suggestions, of course!

PS: I did ponder the improbable - technically could do it, but this would doubtless sound VERY STRANGE: :whistle:

MeteoraBass_ConceptLoL.png
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Well, this post has certainly flown under the radar :)

I think I have worked out a lot of the details, probably going to make it like this:
    MeteoraBass_Concept03.png
    I am a huge fan of oversized knobs ( 33mm shown, I might go even larger! ) and the two extra tailpieces would allow this 30 inch scale bass to use either short-scale, medium-scale, or long-scale strings...

Still pondering the angled pup possibility though ( have to check pole pieces, now that I know the string spacing...)

Reynoldbot, Wanker_Joe, MCF and 4 others like this.
  3. Joris 55

Joris 55

Jun 5, 2009
    Belgium
    I'm a one-pickup kinda guy myself, but the one with three pickups would be pretty neat.
    Just make sure not to forget a tort pickguard.

mikewalker likes this.
  4. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    Why not make an adjustable trapeze tailpiece? That way you can lengthen or shorten it depending on the string scale. Also, I like both the colors.

ed morgan and mikewalker like this.
  5. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :) Hmmm... come ta think of it - one of these Fender-branded tailpieces might be pretty rad:
    [​IMG]

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Front strap button at the 16th fret, and positioning pickups based on look rather than sound.

No thanks.

instrumentalist and mikewalker like this.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you're going with three you should consider a Dingwall rotary switch type of setup like they use on their 3X basses. Their standard 3X rotary configuration is just about perfect for me, and their D-Bird rotary variety offers a different flavor. You'd have to roll your own rotary, but I imagine that's not too difficult.

soulstew and mikewalker like this.
  8. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    About twenty years ago I used a 4P3T toggle to do some interesting switching on a three pup bass. I forget the details, but I'm pretty sure one of the settings was all three in series :)

9. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Actually, you'd be amazed at how well that judicious strap button placement can at least partially offset neck dive. And final pup placement will be guided by principles left to us by The Founding Fathers :) - but cosmetics is a factor too. I mean, it is a Meteora StarCaster, after all... :smug:

...and hmm, come to think of it, another viable option might be to use string anchors in place of Machine Heads - and use a headless bass tailpiece-tuner block / bridge set down the other end... Not sure if that would be in keeping with the spirit of Meteora though (would look more like a Kubicki I think!) :whistle:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    PennyroyalWe and sing-modulator like this.
  10. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    I don't like the two additional tail pieces. Other than that it looks pretty rad. Maybe add a pickguard? Like from a Thunderbird?

mikewalker likes this.
  11. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    The second image (three slanted pickups) looks the best to me. I would pick one of these up for sure if the pickups were not you standard J or P variety...P90's would be cool.

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you move the bridge to within a couple of inches of the rear of the body, as it is on most functional basses, sink the neck deeper, and alter the lower cutaway accordingly it will balance properly and you won't have to worry about it. If you're making the body yourself you have the opportunity to design it well, instead of prioritizing aesthetics over function.

mikewalker likes this.
  13. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Sure!! However, my whole idea here is to mate a standard Meteora body with a standard Starcaster bass neck...

But, without further adieu, here is the lz4005 Signature Meteora Starcaster!! :)
    With the strap-button properly placed @ 12th fret for optimum balance, this special limited edition model features a single P-Bass split-coil pickup in the "sweet spot", and boasts unfettered access all the way to the fifteenth fret!

Special.png

14. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I vote 3, it just seems right.

The over-sized knobs are cool, maybe also use a Stratocaster type selector lever.

Also, switches up top for the built-in FX...:cool:

mikewalker likes this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Two, on the lime green, Mikey!

mikewalker likes this.
  16. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    2 pickups for slapping
    3 pickups if your not slapping
    4 pickups if you know you will never slap the bass.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You didn't read the part about "alter the lower cutaway" did you.

Plus it has at least 3 too many knobs for a single pickup bass I'd play.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I did read that part, but as I mentioned, it kinda kills the "Meteora" concept if I hack the Meteora body shape! Will do my best to make a "spirit-of-Meteora' useful cutaway version for you later tonight after I get through applying today's out-of-band patches to all of our unfortunate (windows) servers.

** Incidentally, the lz4005 signature (Mk.I) has passive volume and tone controls only! (those two extra knobs are for the built in Bluetooth PONG controller set...) :)

19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    1 Function before form.
    2 Bass versions of guitars is why Gibson hasn't had a successful bass since the Thunderbird.
    3 Tone and volume controls are for cowards. On/off switch only.

mikewalker likes this.
  20. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    mikewalker likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021