Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

methods

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by budro, Sep 19, 2004.

1. budro

budro

Sep 19, 2004
    What is the difference between simandl and rollez methods?

2. Zach Edmands

Zach Edmands

Jan 24, 2003
    I've used Rollez volume 2 and it wasn't a method book. It was a book of scale exercises. I don't know about volume 1, though. Other than that, the Rollez fingerings for the scales used a lot of the A and D string while the Simandl book did most of the work on the G string.

3. budro

budro

Sep 19, 2004
    Thanks for the info. My last teacher was simandl, but he moved out of town. My new teacher uses rollez and wants me to get book number 2. I'm afraid I'll be learning completely different fingerings.

4. Humph

Humph

May 23, 2004
    Warren, NJ
    I have Simandl, Rufus Reid's book, Ray Brown's and Don Herman's scale book. Altogther, it is a good combination. Plus I have a practice book for rhthymn work, Bugs Bower & Charles Conlin.
    My teacher has me mainly working out of Simandl & his own exercises. I supplement all the other books into my practice throughout the week.

5. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    If it still matters, Rollez seems to be more about expanding on the techniques taught in Simandl. It presents various fingerings that might be easier on other areas of the fingerboard, but will prove to be helpful later on. Not to metion the Rollez books are a serious workout.