Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MEYER MONITORS - Howflat and precise are they?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 28, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Never ending quest continues.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For $5K, you can pretty much be assured they are precise and accurate as you can get.

-Mike

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

$5k huh? for a monitor? well that idea is out.

4. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I own two of them and as far as monitors go,nothing else even comes close! They are worth every penny!!

John

5. I was hoping John would chime in. I got to try one of these with my Origin on a gig not too long ago and it was exactly as he said.

None more precise. None more flat. None more expensive (on my list anyway).

To paraphrase Joel, it was "invisible". I found it to be very similar to the El Whappo in this way... and that's one of the few that you could consider to be even close to the Meyer.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i saw Anthony Jackson @ Bass Extremes last year, and his Meyer 2x15 was a thing of beauty. not only in formidable looks, but his tone had by far one of these best low end that i've ever heard. fat, warm, and oh so present. the top end wasnt quite to my liking, nor was it as punchie, but like listening to your favorite bassist thru a nice stereo.

but would i use them in my live contexts? no. the overall bass sound just didnt quite have the visceral authoritative slam i usually expect during a live show. Oteil Burbridge's Epifani rig was more "wow" in those terms. the Meyer's were more of a soft pillow'y engulfing sound of low end. for sheer pleasant listening, the Meyer's were amazing. in that fusion'y / jazzy context, the Meyer's really shined. but as a backline for the more intense music i do, i doubt the Meyer's would cut it for me.

sure, coulda been the 15" speakers, and a variety of other things. but again, Oteil's Epifani rig literally made me opened my eyes as to how terrific a bass tone could be, especially among the din of Wooten's and Bailey's oversized Ampeg rigs. fat, punchie authority, and coated in a hifi sheen of good lovin'.

7. I was using the wedge-style Meyer monitor for stage sound only. I didn't find it to be either soft or pillowy, but perhaps I was also hearing sound from the mains. Anyhow, it was indeed pleasant.

Sounds like it was a great show to see, Joker(jkny)! I wish I had been there.

8. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I also have two of the 2x15 subs and two of the 1x12 with horns and they rock!! The first fairly large show I played with them was a heavy rock gig for about 1500 people and the rig slammed!!! By-the -way,I was only using one 1x12 and one 2x15 sub!!! Nobody,including the sound man,who was running a huge JBL Vertic rig,could believe how great it sounded!!

John

9. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I agree,I don't find them pillowy either!! I have been using my two monitors with my small rack(Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp and Eventide Eclipse) in stereo for a house gig I do where there are usually three to four hunderd people,and it sounds amazing!!! This rig is also alot more portable then my bigger Meyer rig and main rack(Millennia TD-1,Millennia STT-1,another Eventide Eclipse,and Meyer LD-2 line driver).

John

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i was thinking it could be the sound AJ goes for. he does come from the jamerson vein which would be big and pillowy with not much top end. i wonder if your reaction to the sound of the cabs would be the opposite if AJ were playing through the epi and otiell through the meyers.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This is clearly the ideal Meyer cab for those wanting an all-in-one big gig solution:

[​IMG]

http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/mts-4a/index.htm

" The MTS-4A comprises four drivers, four amplifier channels affording 2480 watts total peak output (620 watts/channel) and a four-way, phase-corrected active crossover network. The control electronics are optimized to allow the 12-inch, 15-inch and 18-inch drivers to operate together over the critical 60 Hz to 100 Hz frequency band, affording maximum power and precise definition. The 4-inch diaphragm high-frequency compression driver extends high-frequency response to 18 kHz, with phase response flat to 12 kHz. "

Just roll it in, plug your bass and preamp in, and revel in being able to blow everyone else off the stage! Or be mature and simply have great sound and more headroom than you've ever dreamt of...

Alex

12. Alex, did you happen to catch the weight on that? A mere 280 lbs!

13. I have used Meyer for years (I have a set of HD-1's I mix on)......when I was doing live sound I used to spec it when I could (as an engineer) Even their older gear is FAR and above anything else out there in terms of fidelity.....I have a wedge that I carry when necessary and use it to get my monitor mix......some shows I will ONLY have the Demeter DI out to the snake and use a monitor mix of everything for my sound.......$5K is a bit high though....you should be able to get one in the 3,500.00 range....keep in mind that you are paying for the cabinet, amps, processing, and everything.....all you have to do is send it AC and an Audio signal and you are in business!!

The sound is UNREAL......will go up to 139db (in a floor wedge!!) full range signal that produces EVERYTHING very cleanly....you can't make it break up or distort.....has its own protection circuitry so it is fairly bulletproof......VERY easy to get a mix on and requires little to no additional EQ to ring out (4 band parametric is typically enough)very tight coverage pattern but good smooth projection even off axis.......Think of the Accugroove in a wedge is actualy a good analogy......More similarities than differences really.....VERY GOOD gear....ALL of it....I have used their new MILO system along with thir 700 HP subs and it is AWESOME........You have to hear it to believe that concert sound can be this good.......

Peace,

T

14. :D
    I can still remember the first time I mixed on a Meyer kit. It was 1995 and all I'd really mixed on before was modular stuff (Martin 215 bass bins, Philishave mids, etc) and the scattered Adamson (Adamsquawk?) rig. It was 6 UPAs and 2 650s in a 1100 seat theater and I distinctly remember being blown away by the smoothness and musicality of it. The next time I felt that way was when I first mixed on X-Array (a bit different) a few years later and again with V-DOSC. I've spent a lot of time with a lot of Meyer gear and it's definitely the truest sounding PA gear out there, if not the highest output (V-DOSC wins that, hands down, in my experience). I'm a licensed SIM operator, though I haven't been doing much PA work lately. There's nothing quite like mixing on a properly SIM-ed big Meyer rig. Like a huge set of studio monitors....

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, but you've got the Tara Labs power cables, so yours sound even better!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... I need a couple of these. Do they have them at GC?

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah but you'll have to climb the ladder yourself to get them down!
    :p

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good points, met...

you might be right in that AJ was most likely going for that fat deep sound, that not even the Epi's could touch.

still, (not to derail), after hearing the Epifani stack juxtaposed against the Ampeg and Meyer rig, the Epi was my fav overall.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No surprise there. :D

-Mike

20. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Funny you brought-up Tara Labs,I have been meaning to order some of their power cables for my Meyer gear! All of the Tara Labs power cables that I have use IEC connectors,and with the Meyer cabs,I need Powercon connectors! Thanks for reminding me!! :hyper:

John