1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mic cable or instrument cable

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by backplains, Oct 14, 2009.

1. backplains

backplains

Sep 16, 2009
    Active bass going into a Radial Passive DI, and out using a mic cable to the mixer. Is this ok?..
    I'm boosting my high/mid/bass to the max on the bass and make adjustments at the mixer...is this ok?

thanks guys...newbie:bassist:

2. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Yes on the mic cable.

Depends on cranking the controls. Why? CanĀ“t get the same sound on the board?

3. keep your bass fairly flat and then adjust your amp for stage sound and mixer for FOH sound... you can tweak your controls on your guitar to fine tune that way... sometimes maxing out controls on guitar on an active bass can cause your signal to the board to be too hot..

I'm sure there are other opinions on this topic, but this is always a good starting (and safe) approach...

4. and ya, always use an XLR (mic) cable to take your signal to the mixer whenever possible..

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep.

nope.

flatten them out, flatten the board channel out, then adjust the onboard EQ a little either way to taste.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed. The only time it would be OK to max the EQ knobs on the bass is if you want an extreme (and extremely weird) tone.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, too much EQ from the bass sounds peaky and kind of fakey sounding. Probably because most of them aren't so good.

8. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Is there much of a sound difference between using an XLR-XLR (mic cable) or a XLR-1/4" from a DI to a mixer?

9. tim316

tim316

Mar 29, 2010
    The DI converts an unbalanced signal (from the bass pickups) to a balanced signal ( to the mixer). All DI that I have seen have XLR and 1/4" outputs. Use XLR output to the mixer.

10. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Yes my DI has both XLR (balanced) and 1/4" (unbalanced) outputs, but I'm talking about cables... Am I better to use an XLR-XLR (from XLR output on DI to XLR input on mixer) cable or an XLR-1/4" (from XLR output on DI to 1/4" input on mixer) cable?
    Thanks!

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just go XLR-XLR. Converting the signal back to unbalanced totally defeats the purpose of using a DI box. I guess if the 1/4" you meant was a TRS (three connector, balanced) plug and not a TS (two connector, unbalanced instrument cable) plug, then there might conceivably be some circumstances where that would solve a problem of not having enough XLR mixer inputs or something like that.. but that would be a weird exception. Use a regular XLR-XLR mic cable.

12. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Ok XLR-XLR, got it! Thanks.