Michael Brecker -- Seriously Ill

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Media is reporting that Michael Brecker is seriously ill with myelodysplastic syndrome, a blood disorder. He cancelled dates with Steps Ahead 2005 and appears doubtful for concerts with the Saxophone Summit Band.

Mr. Brecker is my hero for the skill, imagination, courage and passion which characterize his playing. He has fended off junk and long-term throat problems. He also has risen above lucre -- how many people can say that they abandoned a top-call studio-player's living to make the music they hear? His playing has had a profound effect on so many players, including me. I hope you'll join me in sending positive, healthful vibes his way.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I heard about this as well....

I grew up listening to both Michael and Randy....Although my main axe is trumpet, I was heavily influenced by Michael.

How sad...

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Wow, he seemed fine just a week ago at the Steps Ahead concert.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Good vibes on the way. He's been a great influence over the years, and I hope that can continue.
  5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Get Better Michael! :hyper:
  6. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
  7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Just found this:

This info comes from Randy Brecker.

Michael is in hospital for a round of chemo and then a bone marrow transplant. Doctors remain optimistic and you can send cards or letters to Mike at the following address:

Room 1137
    Sloan-Kettering Memorial Cancer Center
    1275 York Avenue
    New York, NY 10021
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Apparently you can send E-wishes to info@michaelbrecker.com

Whoops, that link doesn't work, but the same link does from Michael's website. It's under the "news" section.
  9. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Your link doesn't work because it takes the person who clicks it to http://info@michaelbrecker.com

What you want is: mailto:info@michaelbrecker.com

On this forum's syntax, that comes out as info@michaelbrecker.com

edit: to do that, use the tag address[*email]

Replace * with /
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just got this from a friend

SUBJECT: Michael Brecker needs your help.

Dear Family and Friends,

My husband, Michael Brecker, has been diagnosed with MDS
    (myelodysplastic syndrome), and its critical that he undergoes a stem cell transplant. The initial search for a donor (including Michael's siblings and children) has not yet resulted in a suitable match.
    Michael's doctors have told us that we need to immediately explore ALL possible options. This involves getting as many people of a similar genetic background to be tested.

There are some important points to understand concerning this process:

1. The screening involves a blood test only. It can be done very quickly either at a marrow donation center or at a LOCAL LAB. The cost is anywhere from $40 to $75 and your insurance may cover it. (In NYC, you can call Frazier, at the NY Blood Bank, at 212-570-3441, and make an appointment for HLA typing. It costs $40.00.) Check with your local blood bank, or go to http://www.marrow.org to find the donor
    center nearest you.

2. Your blood typing information can be posted on the international registry, if you choose, where it would also be available to others in need of a transplant. BEING ON THE REGISTRY DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO DONATE, it just means that you may be ASKED to do so. You can take your
    name off the registry at any time.

3. Should you be selected as a potential donor for Michael, please understand that there have been tremendous advances in bone marrow transplants and the term itself can be misleading. Bone marrow donation is no more invasive than giving blood. Stem cells are simply harvested from your blood and then transplanted to Michael.

4. A match for Michael would be most likely to come from those of Eastern European Jewish descent. If you or anyone you know are in this category please make a special effort to immediately get tested. Ultimately, you would be doing something not just for Michael, but for so many more who
    are in a similar situation as my husband.

5. You are now part of our internet-based drive for donor testing. If everyone who receives this can motivate a bunch of their friends to get tested, and those friends then forward this email to get their friends to get tested, we will have rapidly expanded the pool of potential donors. I urge all of you to get tested AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Any local blood center/Red Cross center can assist in organizing a drive for Michael, although it would be desirable if you can get a large group, e.g. a synagogue, to sponsor it. Should you have any questions about this, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Michael's management office at 212.302.9200 or info@michaelbrecker.com.

Thank you so much for your love and support.

We are so grateful.

Susan xo
  11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Thanks for posting that Ed. For anyone in the Hartford area, I found the New England Marrow Donor Program at 433 S. Main in West Hartford, phone is 800-676-4545.

I'm calling in a minute to see if I can do this pronto. I'm Jewish, but as I was adopted and not likely Eastern European, not a very likely match for Michael. But that doesn't mean I won't be a match for someone.
  12. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    West Hartford would be a good place to start looking, actually. The town has an extremely large Jewish population. There are (I think) 11 synagogues here, in a town of 60,000 people.
  13. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I gave bone marrow to my sister, but did not save her life. The procedure was painless as it's usually done under general anesthesia. The Dr took about a quart of marrow out of both my hips for they are the largest reservoir in the body for marrow. It's hard to sit down for a couple of days; an insignificant price to pay to save a life.
    Let's hope Michael finds a donor!!!!
  14. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    It's a joy to pass along this report that Mr. Brecker returned to the stage this past weekend, performing a tune with Herbie Hancock in NYC.

There's even a pic for those who need to see.

Man, I would love to watch him play once more. Twenty more times would be even better!
  15. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    that's just wonderful
  16. That's great. Did he find a donor?
  17. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    His daughter! I don't understand why she didn't donate from the beginning? What was the story?
  18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001