Micing amp for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Zack Ataack, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Zack Ataack

Zack Ataack

Sep 25, 2005
    Im goin to record with my band in a few days and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Should i go direct? Or mic an amp. If i do mic it, is there any specific ways/tricks? Thanks
  2. Depending on how big the desk/studio is that youre going to record in, i would do both. Go direct into one channel, close mic a 57 or something similar on the cone into another channel, and maybe a nice bottom end (as inn bass, not price) close mic'd into another channel. Mixing the signals appropriately. Prolly just a DI and %& will do a decent job.
  3. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I almost always use a mic'ed amp when recording and what I like to use is pretty simple to do and it sounds great. I place the cabinet in isolation and then close mic it using a large diaphram condenser mic, Groove Tubes Model 1 works excellent. Then I use my live amp setup but I don't play the cabinet very loud, pretty quiet actually. What I've found is that by playing through a speaker there is a certain amount of frequency conditioning happening to the signal that seems to make it fit in the mix very nicely with very little eq or compression manipulation required. For some reason it just sounds more "real" to me and if that's what you're going for I would certainly give it a try. Split the signal so you have a direct too and see what you like best.