1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro Thumpinator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Aug 17, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    My Micro Thumpinator should arrive any day now so I wanted to get your thoughts on where to put it on my signal chain. I do plan to experiment but why not get the knowledge of TalkBass.

My setup:

Carvin Icon 5 (18v active) ->VT Bass->MXR Compressor->
    MXR Octave->MXR Carbon Copy->MXR Micro amp->
    Carvin BX500 OR Markbass Jeff Berlin

Thank you!

2. I'd definitely put it before the Carbon Copy to avoid muddiness, and experiment with before/after the Octave.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I'd either put it at the front to cut out any subsonic thumps from the bass or at the end to protect the amp from anything that gets through. I used to run mine at the end but now run it at the front of the chain right after the tuner. It's after the tuner mostly because it fit better on the pedalboard at that spot rather than the very first pedal.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I always think that the end, as close to the power stage is the best place for HPF. Sometimes amps or effects can add harmonic content in the lows, so you really want to catch that right before you hit the power stage.

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    MXR Octave...in a signal chain with a Micro Thumpinator. That seems odd, as the thumpinator would be removing any of the low octave if play A or below with the -1 octave setting.

6. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Crazy eh? Maybe I'll put it at the beginning to get a pristine signal. The 18v active electronics are very hot and tend to distort the amp or speaker a bit.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I would try the experiment. Remove everything from the chain but the mThump and Octave. Try them one way, then swap them, and hear what happens. I am curious. Please report back if you try the experiment.

8. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Will do. I hope it arrives today or tomorrow.
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I have two degrees in music (double bass) and although I've been playing electric for almost 25 years I think I'm still an amp / cab newbie.

9. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I put mine after my octave pedal and before my comp.

10. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Thanks! I like my comp before my octave pedal - seems to smooth the tracking a bit for me but I will definitely experiment.

11. I'm trying to compare (conceptually) pre-comp to post-comp. I guess if you use the compressor to fatten your tone it would be best to have the Thumpinator afterwards, but if it's just a limiter to protect your amp it would be better before.

12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I would put it between my preamp and power amp, which means in the effects loop of a bass head. I wouldn't want to use it as a tone shaping device on my pedalboard, just as a filter right before the power amp.

13. Tried it everywhere and found i liked first, but I use all passive basses.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Doesn't it act "just as a filter" regardless of where you put it?

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    For wiring purposes, I'll be putting mine second in my chain behind my tuner. I don't use any pedals that benefit from that sub-octave content.

Edited to ad: whenever it gets here. Max is a slow as christmas............

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The mail boat across the Atlantic is slow.

17. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah......that's been the fastest part of the process........

18. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Max builds quality stuff. It is worth the wait.

19. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Oh, I'm sure it is. I was expecting a bit of a wait......not two months......but a bit......

20. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I've only been waiting 10 days and expect any time now.