Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Microtonal Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 13, 2004.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Just curious if there are any microtonal bassists out there. Plus I would like to know of some good microtonal bassists that I should listen to.

... BTW, I'm not talking about cats that are horrible fretless players, there are too many of them out there. I really would go as far to call them microtonal. :D Just out of tune.

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    There's Carlo Mombelli of Italy. Almost impossible to find anything about him. I just heard of him years ago and haven't had any luck. Hopefully you will fare better. Also, I've heard of someone named Ed Bromes (SP?) that does microtonal expoits as well. Hope this helps.

3. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Um Carlo aint from Italy hes a South African and hes pretty incredible! he lives about 30minutes away from me. hes well worth checking out hes got some major spead going aswell.

On finding his stuff good luck its not going to be easy theres a few lurking around cd stores here is SA but you would be lucky to find his stuff overseas.

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks Trip, I'm going to look up both of those cats! I missed your gig when you were here in ATL (@ the Redlight Cafe), tons of bassists were digging it.

Hey Garry,

My buddy (Paul Ehrlich) up in Boston plays 22, 19 and 31 tonalities (G@#tar) and he had a fretless 4'er lined with green lines, red lines and white lines... I can't remember which colour was for which tonality, but it was a great Idea...

I think that another g@#tarist (John Catler maybe?) had a multifingerb'd'd neck and the FB's were magnetic as well... From what I understand he would just bring a few BD's with him on a gig and switch them out as he needed.

"Just" is when the frets don't go completely across, kinda like dots and dashes, right? I think that I have seen some, but tell me what you can about it.

I've actually been into Harry Partch for some time now, what an innovator! He was also a very skilled sculptor and artist. He seemed to incorporate both mediums of sculpting and instrument building when he designed instruments of microtonality.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  6. This guy, Jeff Harrington has been doing quartertone stuff for a while now:

http://parnasse.com/jh/blog/

Some interesting stuff. Not bass though.

- Dave

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Well, I've be into microtonality, granted that was due to one of my absolute best friends and influences in the Boston area (Paul, mentioned earlier), but I have only messed with the various guitars he owned. I'm glad to hear that there are bassists out there that are involved in microtonality and TB'ers that are knowledgable here.

Garry, Do you have any pix of that bass?

For those of you that are interested in Harry Partch's work: http://www.harrypartch.com

[​IMG]

...this is an example of his marimba that he built.

As for Catler, until now I only heard/knew of him what my friend mentioned to me, here is a fretboard of his (non-magnetic board though):

[​IMG]
    Man that must have been a b!tch to do the fret work on!

Ed,

Always glad to see your posts~! Joe Maneri is Matt Maneri's dad from what I know, I used to see one of Matt's groups around Boston from time to time: Natraj (indo-fusion-jazz). Don't know enough about Joe other than he is/was a teacher at NEC and I lived in the area at that time. What I do know is that Joe is the founder of http://www.bostonmicrotonalsociety.org... I think that I'm going to be doing a bit of reading during my lunch break today :D .

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I didnt think I had heard microtonal music before but apparently I have.

I just read on that page that Maneri did some of the music for one of my favorite movies, "American Splendor."

Thanks for the info!

9. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
  10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Here's a 12+ tonal G&L ASAT 4'er that I found on John Catler's site:

[​IMG]
    It appears that he has a deal with G&L to get various gtr's and basses in a variety of tonalities

yo Chimp, You would get a kick out of this...

[​IMG]
    this is a pic of Paul playing @ the Middle East in Cambridge, MA, granted he isn't playing a microtonaly gtr...

My friend Paul Ehrlich that I keep bringing up, called and told me that he was over at David 'Fuze' Fiuczynski's (from SHT, KiF...) and he let Fuze play his 31 tone gtr last week. Fuze was really interested in microtonality and apparently he really smoked on Paul's 31 tone.... especially for never have played one before.

11. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Fuze is an amazing guitarist with lots of different ideas he is probably my favorite guitarist. My jazz band instructor met him at a festival a year or two ago and apparently he is the coolest guy ever so down to earth and realy was just a great guy. When im out of school seeing SHT will be on the top of my list for things to do.

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I'm interested to hear more about this cat...

13. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    im going to see him next month. i will try get a cd and ill give you some songs, he really is brilliant.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I didn't think anyone was interested in microtonality on TB.

Heh. I haven't seen any reason to discuss it here up to now, but I'm another former Boston resident who caught the bug while living there. I used to work at ARP building synths, and a few of us drove everyone crazy by setting up various scale systems in the employee studio.

As far as bassists, there was a guy up in northern Vermont, Bill Patton, who was doing really cool microtonal solos on his Fender fretless back in the mid-seventies. This was in pretty conventional jazz groups too. That guy was a huge influence on me, to many people's chagrin, I suppose.

Anyhow, here's the classic starting link on the subject, AFAIK: http://microtones.com/