1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mid-90s SB-1: Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MacWord, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MacWord

MacWord

Sep 15, 2008
    Western Colorado
    I just purchased a mid-90s G & L SB-1. It's in near mint condition, and I paid $400. I don't know if this is a great deal or not...a few threads seemed to place the value less than that.
    SB-1-reduced.
    Anyway, the sound is impressive compared to older American made Peaveys I own.

Besides wanting to get an idea of value, my other query involves any upgrades. Everything seems very solid on it, but wondered if there were weak links in the components, or anything else a guy might do to tweak, or otherwise improve it.

This is my first G & L, after owning Fenders, Warwick, and 3 or 4 Peaveys. Thanks for any input.

2. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    sounds like you got ripped off !!!.....if you want to get your $400 back,
    send me a pm !

3. I would not place the value of a US G&L SB-1 at less than $400. I would say you got a pretty good deal.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    No pics, no SB-1!

5. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Very good deal. Last SB-1 I bought for $400 was 12 years ago.
    No weak links in the SB-1; go forth and let the split MFD take out the first row at your next gig :bassist:

6. MacWord

MacWord

Sep 15, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Thanks for the replies. I added a photo.

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ohhhhh, that's sweet. Congrats sir!

8. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Wanna make your $400 back? ;)

9. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    That's hundreds less than I've seen clean SB-1s going for lately. Top notch made in USA basses with no issues at all. Congrats on finding a great bass!

10. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    You got a fantastic deal!! Beautiful bass, and I wouldn't do a thing to it!!
    Congratulations!!:hyper:

11. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    $400 is a very good price for a solid SB-1 of any vintage I'd say. If the SB-1 in the pic is the one you are talking about, that has some indications that it may be a 80s or very early 90s SB-1. The black wrinkle bridge and CP indicate 86-92 I believe. Does it have the point on the headstock? Is the CP metal? The case in the background is a newer 90s G&L if that's original, so it may be a early 90s SB-1. That's nice. Post a pic of the headstock. Great necks, great basses.

12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Well, one thing for sure, you're right, it ain't no Peavey ;). Enjoy your score!

13. MacWord

MacWord

Sep 15, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Here's the headstock... SB-1 Headstock.JPG

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Utterly worthless.

I'll give you $399 for it.

15. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Don't let this guy fleece you! I'll give you 401.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Best P bass there is, if you want "P-bass+destruction power."

If you find the MFD-P pup a bit too much, and you want more vintagey tone, roll the volume shot 20% or so.

Congrats on the nice find!

17. MacWord

MacWord

Sep 15, 2008
    Western Colorado
    All of your replies are very much appreciated...the response has been gratifying. I've made my share of bad deals, so it feels good not to have paid too much for once.

It does appear to have a metal CP, and I'm assuming the headstock photo has the point.

I've been told that I'll need to remove the neck to view the date stamp.

18. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    You definitely got a rockin' deal on that beauty. I have an '89 in white w/ the black crinkle that simply kills. It's by far the loudest bass in my stable. My active basses don't even come close. Those MFD p'ups are ridiculous - in a good way!! Enjoy that masterpiece of a bass. :bassist:

19. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Given the hardware, the "Leo Fender" decal on the headstock and the placement of the string tree, I'd guess early 90's.