1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ Jazz special neck and body numbers....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alreadysweaty, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    HI there. Just found this place and have my first question. I picked up a Bass for dirt cheap a few years back. I'd like to do a complete refurbish including a fender re-decal. All indications show it to be a MIJ Jazz special but the headstock was re-finished at some point and there is no decal. The neck-cavity however is ink-stamped "PJ-555EX" and the neck is stamped "E PJ-555". Is there anyone out there that can confirm any year range or even the fact that it is indeed MIJ? I can find lots of stuff on serial numbers but even Fender can't help me with the body and neck stamp. TIA... AS

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    MIJ jazz bass specials started in 1985 and ran until 89 or 90 i believe.Before they were called jazz abss specials they called them p.j bass, and were sold from i think 1983 until the name changed in 1985. I would say your bass is a 1983 or 84 mij p.j bass. Post some pics it will help

The next stamp E means 1980's PJ is the model number

3. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    my digital cameras busted. I'll have to get pics to get a new decal from fender I'm guessing. Do they make decals w/out serial numbers? This thing looks just like all the other MIJ jazz specials I've seen pics of.

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    decals on those should be gold and have an E serial number i am sure its original and just an 1983 0r 84 pj bass , i am only 19 so i was not around back then but i know alot about fenders. What color is the body? fender does make replacement decals IDK if they do for those models , it will have a serial number on the decal but you can just cut that off before you apply it no biggie

5. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    If you're talking about the neck stamp located at the back of the neck where the serial numbers are usually printed, I doubt its an MIJ. Fender Japan never used letters and numbers after the letter prefix. MADE IN JAPAN always follow a single letter prefix then 6 digit numbers. CIJ letter + 5 digits number. JV and SQ + 5 digit numbers. Please post a photo of your bass especially the neck stamp. Its hard to answer your question unless you show a photo of it.

does you bass look like this? Ignore the Yamaha sticker. Its Fender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    It's ink-stamped on the unpainted surface that bolts on to the body, in a place that you can't see when the neck is attatched. When the neck is attatched there are no visible numbers whatsoever. There is an all black MIJ on ebay right now. Mine looks just like it w/out the decal. I was hoping that the body/neck numbers I gave would be enough to at LEAST know it was made in Japan, regardless of the original serial number. thanks

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!

hmm so i should be mad at u i was obviously selling it so low , PM me

8. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    The fact that the bass you sold me was a POS is on me. My lack of diligence. BUT... the toggle malfunctions occasionally (won't stay on P pickup only), the tone pot post was busted off under the knob with a crappy glue job, the wiring was some kind of hack job and the head had a newer (crappy) laquer finish leaving me to wonder if it had been re-labled. Trust me, I feel like a moron. I'm pretty sure you were aware of all of this. I guess we're different people. I feel better about letting people know what they're getting instead of hoping they don't find out what they're getting until later and I have thier money in my hand. And then I find out you made the big craigslist story about buying the aerodyne new for $1075 three years ago (your "main axe" lol) when you had just bought it 5 days prior for $325, I now have to wonder about all the BS you told me about the history on mine.
    Don't worry about it. I guess if you can sleep good at night pulling this **** on people then it's no big deal...

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Ok first off that whole bass is original it was bought new by my uble in arizona the LABEL has never been replaced its an all original label nothing has ever been refinished in anyway on the bass

the toggle switch fully functions i even showed you in person ,the wiring i looked at is all original and has not been modified in anyway the knobs were replaced with metal ones and i told you all this

you came into my house and held the bass in your hand i told you everything about it dropped the price from 400$ to 350$ threw in a nice gig bag for 20$ that cost 60$ played it in front of you you looke dta it in the light i told you were it was made who plays these etc i cant be nore clear than that

the aerodyne bass i have on craigslist is price at how much it was to buy and ship thats my cousins bass he owns and i am selling if u wnat to know how long he has played it email him at rustyratrod@yahoo.com or me at mikespinner89@yahoo.com

if you would to email me uncle about the jazz special let me know he is the original owner and besides knobs is all orginal you bought intending to profit just cuz you cant its not my fault you can easily break even if u wanted to also this should not be aired to eceryone they should not have to deal with it

i am sure if you are going to make a big deal cuz you can make a profit off of people my uncle will just buy it and resale it , its better that than listening to this $hit talking

i mean you look a bass over for 5 minutes and play it you wanted it! sorry you cant profit off of ppl

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IMO, this would be better to discuss in PM's.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree. take this to pm. this is the 2nd time you've been told about this, Alreadysweaty. if you need more clarification, pm me and we'll discuss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.