Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dirnt-style or bass itself?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FashionVictim, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Sorry I'm a bit new, I was wondering if anyone knew Mike Dirnt's playing style and if it was they way he played or the bass itself? If it was his style could anyone give me any hints on how to achieve that?

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Huh? :confused:

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    He uses a pick on a Musicman of some sort (my guess is stingray,) a J-bass, and a P-bass...

4. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    ermm no ^^

during the dookie and insomniac tours he used a gibson g3. in the tours after that he's used vintage precisions mostly, until the ai tour where he is using a custom shop sig model. he plays with a pick and normally digs in quite hard to achieve his sound. i believe i read once he boosts the 2kHz to get a click sound.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ermm, yeah.

Look at the Longview video. Look at the Nice Guys Finish Last video. Look at his new custom bass.

6. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    Good post :rolleyes:

longview vid = gibson g3
    ngfl vid = vintage precision (i believe it's a 68 or 69)
    ...and what about his custom bass??

i don't think i've ever seen mike dirnt with a jazz bass and theres a small clip of him with a mm stingray in the 'last ride in' video, but i'm unsure if he ever used it for recording (he defo never used it live)

7. When they interviewed him in 'Bass Player', he said something about using his whole picking arm to play, something about there being more power that way to drive the band along... He also said that he likes his action high so the sound comes 'from him, not the bass'...

His signature (custom is slightly different) bass is simply a P-Bass in a retro 'tele bass' disguise. It's purely cosmetic, a differently shaped scratchplate isn't going to affect the sound

Oh, and he plays with a pick, but I assume you already knew that.

Marty out.

8. The man speaks the truth, most of Mike's tone comes from the drive in his right hand. He hits the strings pretty hard and his action is always raised just a little bit. The tone can be relatively easily re-produced with a good P or J bass

9. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Nothing against Mike Dirnt whatsoever, but his sound can be achieved by using any number of basses through any number of amps with a similar attitude from a technique standpoint by a given player.
    Better to arrive at your own sound maybe?

10. Definitely, but we were just answering the guy's question to stop him getting knocked about by everyone else who seemed to assume that what is played in the video is completely connected to what the song was recorded with.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    As many have observed, it's not to difficult to get Dirnt's tone out of a bass, but of course playing exactly like him is another matter.

I've played some Green Day, and absolutely nail the tone with a maple fretboard MIA P loaded with a DiMarzio Model P pickup.

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What a large penis you have.

He is really good at bass. I think he's one of the best pop punk bassist around.

13. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    :meh: You're an idiot.....

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    he used the gibson for the first few records, then the vintage p-bass that he does most of his recordings with. now he uses his signature model.

he isnt the best bassisst on earth, but he is obviously doing something right to have so many amazing alubms full of hints, plus he has his own signature line.

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    On the albums before American Idiot, Mike definitely played more than eights, just sayin'.

16. So, you mean that what notes you play is completely connected to what your tone is like? Wooooooooooooooow...
    [/newbie talk]

Complete crap I'm afraid. 8th notes or whatever, it doesn't affect the tone one bit. That's not inclusive in techinique.

17. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    :D

18. Hmmm, I think we've established in many a thread that tone is a completely subjective thing. Claypool's tone is a case in point, it's not everyone's cup of tea or bag of muffins. My idea of a good tone may be, and probably is different to yours. The point is is the thread starter wanted to know how to get this particular tone. He didn't ask for opinions to come with it, he already knows that he likes it, and I don't think that anyone should detract that from him. If he changes his mind and, in your opinion, 'sees the light', then so be it. For now though, how about we help him out to the best of our abilities and knowledge, with the minimum possible throwing in of opinions on whether the tone he wants to mimic is good or not.

Being able to mimic tones or at least produce a variety of tones is very useful in my opinion. You never know when you might need to do a cover of a song (you could always 'make it your own', mind you) and need to nail a certain tone.

19. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    You need to relax man, so much anger! The pop-punk genre may be full of "idiots" (?). But they are idiots who are alot more famous and rich than both you and I. You could at least show a little respect, especially for Mike Dirnt who will destroy any other pop-punk bass player of today. The older Green Day stuff was full of good basslines. I am not a fan of pop-punk by any means, and I know where you are coming from. But Dirnt deserves some respect. It's Virtuosos like Mark Hoppus and Cone that really amaze me!

20. lol: [yoda voice]: "So much anger I feel, in one so young" [/yoda voice] :p