Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Gordon in NYC this past weekend

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by deepestend, Mar 29, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Mike Gordon (Phish bass player) was all over town this weekend. If you go out a lot in NYC, you've probably seen him around but this weekend he was all over. I went to Bonerama on friday night and saw him backstage chatting with Fred Wesely. THat was a sweet show, with Fred on trombone and Stanton Moore of Galactic on drums. No bass player, though, just a kick-ass Sousaphone player. Afterwards, we headed to the knit for some Col. Bruce Hampton and the Codetalkers. We made it for the second set and ended up getting in free (!), and just in time to see Mike Gordon sit in for the whole set on bass (!!). Very good stuff. He was playing a Lakland Hollowbody and unfortunately it wasn't too well defined as it was going through the PA. He's a great player, lots of intricate stuff while really holding down the groove-- and for songs that I'm not sure he even knew. I really love his style-- his basslines are very converstional and flowing without being too flashy.

Later on in the weekend he sat in wiht the Allmans for Southbound and Col Bruce again on banjo with Warren Haynes.... and heard some rumours that he sat in with Steve Kimock. All in all a good weekend to be in NYC.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    who's playing with the Col. these days?

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Just a drummer and a guitar player from what I can tell. The website says a bass player too, but I guess that Mike was taking over. I've been hearing about the col. forever and this was my first time seeing him. The guitar player really made it. HE was playing all kinds of styles on an ES 135. It was countryish but he was doing a lot of subtle jazz phrasings and chords. I just checked out www.codetalkers.com and the guy was a berklee prof. for 9 years, so he knows his stuff.

If only I could go back a few years and see the Col. with ARU! I've now seen everyone from ARU in different bands, but never all together.

4. the past 2 or 3 times I saw the Colonel he did not have a bass player. He has had some monsters though...Oteil, Joseph Moore, Neil Fountain...

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You lucky SOB! Gordo is the man. We actually won tickets for all 3 nights in Vegas - he should be tearing up the Modulus - anybody want to sport some plane tickets :)

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I feel lucky to have seen mike so many times... he has a place in tribeca and just always seems to be out and sitting in with people when he's in town.

7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Good to hear that Mike is out and about these days!!!

He signed my Fender Japan Jazz at Union St. in Newton Mass back in the 90s! Haven't been able to see him play lately, but he was a huge influence on me in the 90s when I was actively playing. I really liked the fact that he used different playing techniques and never seemed to play the same thing twice.

8. I "heart" Cactus!!!!

easily one of my bassists....and to top that off, he's from my favorite band!

I wish I was going to Vegas...oh well Summer Tour is upon us!