1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIKE POPE Flexcore problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass42, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Bass42

Bass42

Nov 6, 2012
    Miami/US
    Endorsing : Elixir Strings, Digitech , Eden Amplification
    Hello !

I'm using a MIKE POPE Flexcore 2.2sk and this crazy noise just appeared !

This is too crazy for me ! LOL !

When I'm plugging the bass, if I just put the half plug inside the jack starts a crazy noise like a diesel motor ! LOL ! But when I plug it 100% this noise just stop ! Do you know why ? It wasn't happening before ! In passive mode , it's ok !

Crazy !

Any thoughts ?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The first question is why are you plugging your bass in with the amp turned up? That's a great way to damage your speakers and annoy your neighbors/audience. Just plug your bass in first or at the very least turn the master volume on your amp all the way down when plugging/unplugging and you should be fine.

3. Bass42

Bass42

Nov 6, 2012
    Miami/US
    Yes you right ! I always do like you said, but this bass (withe POPE pre) is the only one that emit this strange noise when half plugged !

4. Why would you expect it to sound normal when half-plugged in?

The Flexcore uses a different scheme for disconnecting the batteries when unplugging the jack than most preamps. Most of them simply run the negative battery voltage through the Ring and Sleeve of a TRS stereo jack, but the Pope uses that connection as more like a relay. The voltage itself does not flow through the jack, it's just a switch. So it should behave differently than other preamps when that switch is half-activated.

In a nutshell, stop doing what you're doing. Plug your bass in quickly and fully and THEN turn your amp on.

5. Bass42

Bass42

Nov 6, 2012
    Miami/US
    Thanks for the answer ! I expected it because the other basses that I have do not emit this sound ! Too strange ! But when it's 100% plugged the bass sound is great and normal !

Many thanks !

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Most gear made for bass is designed so that it works properly when the cable is fully plugged in.

:D

JGbassman likes this.
  7. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    XD XD XD

8. Bass42

Bass42

Nov 6, 2012
    Miami/US
    Yes ! But I have another basses with Flexcore that does not have this strange noise when half plugged ! The does not emit any noise !

Thanks

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I say keep doing it until you blow your speakers then the noise will stop I promise.

10. Bass42

Bass42

Nov 6, 2012
    Miami/US
    Yeah ! But this is so stupid, but I'm sure that you already tried it. LOL !

11. Bass42

Bass42

Nov 6, 2012
    Miami/US
    By the way, keep me informed about the next British Rock Invasion !