Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Sharfe!

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by PB+J, Jan 10, 2006.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Great player--really excellent. I just got a CD of two guitar players, Tim Beren and Dan Faehnle, but the real standout is Sharfe--great tone, perfect intonation, great swing, lots of taste.

Anybody know him?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've seen him a buncha times and hung with him for a minute once or twice. Nice guy, really fine player, hangs with some of the Cincy players I know. Plus, he's at least as bad a gear whore as I am, so he's got that going for him. :hyper:

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Knowing he's a gear whore makes me like him all the more. Addicts have to stick together...

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, no doubt...we should have our own support group. GWA, we could call it. :)

I know he's a gear whore because I sometimes do a trio gig with pianist Jim Connerley and drummer Tony Franklin (who, I might add, is a bad, BAD man) up in Covington, and every time I show up with some new piece of gear, Tony says, "yeah, Mike got one of those about a month ago".

5. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Cincy must have a great jazz scene, with the two of ya playing so well

I have to ask--what's he using for strings? You're still like the doms, no?

I'm very happy with velvet animas at the moment

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks, but I actually only play in Cincy about 4-6 times a year - probably filling in for Mike. :) But yeah, they've got a lot of good players up there... Mike, Bob Bodley, Bill Jackson, and three or four more whose names I'm afraid of misspelling.

I'm still digging the Dominants. When the schedule at the U. kicks up and I don't get to practice regulalry, jumping onto a 90 mph gig on those things after a 4 or 5 day layoff sure makes my (LH) tennis elbow act up though. :scowl: Still, this is more a result of my poor time budgeting than the strings themselves. I tried the Animas on Rufus' bass last year at the camps, and they felt pretty floppy at first. He sure makes 'em sing, though!

7. Whoo, boy, don't I know! Tony played in a boogie/R&B band of mine with Ricky Nye on piano, and we aways had a blast. He's moved on to other things, but I miss him sorely. Heart as big as all outdoors. And I love teasing his girlfriend!

Scharfey - yeah, he's definitely the "go-to" guy around here, and I've known him for years. He plays with my brother quite often. Chris, I'm sure you know him - Steve Schmidt?

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ah, sweet Rebecca, yes (my memory for names ain't the best)? A finer couple of good-natured humans is hard to find on this earth. Hanging with those two tends to give me faith in humanity...just when I think that the world is populated by nothing but shallow idiots, I run into Tony and his girl, and all is well again.

Schmidt's your brother? Damn, it's a small world. I always think of Steve as the "Kurt Vonnegut of jazz" because of his Einsteinian locks and wickedly twisted sense of musical humor. I've only been lucky enough to play with him a couple of times, but remember wishing I could get the chance more often. I'm guessing those are the gigs that Mike doesn't sub much, huh? Gee, I wonder why? :)

9. Yup - I love my bro, can you believe it? Chris, I just posted a little blurb on his new CD in the Recordings forum, which he did last year in NY with Drew Gress and Jeff Ballard, and which makes me so proud I could bust. Hope that's OK - take a look; if not lemme know, and we'll deal with it.

10. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mike is definitely a great player. He's everything you mentioned and more. I've been fortunate enough to take a few lessons with him, and I learned a heck of lot. BTW Mike uses medium gauge Spirocore strings on his beautiful Morelli.

BTW Tim Berens plays with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra as well as the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Dan Faehnle plays with Pink Martini (and formerly with Diana Krall). Both of them play local club gigs as well.