1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

mike tobias - wow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Sep 24, 2003.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I've got a Czech made MTD Beast 5 that I modified with the two-band Bartolini preamp of the MTD Grendel. Both were sent my way via Adrian Garcia. It's not one it's American made cousins but it kills none the less. :D ;)

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I had a kingston for a short time, and while they are OK basses, there is honestly no comparison whatsoever.

Like comparing a Squier to an American deluxe Jazz.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I agree that the imports are not in the same league as the MTD USA product bit they're still fine instruments. Also, I feel that the Czech import was of better quality than the current Korean made line. Even so, I still dream of owning that MTD 535. ;)

4. Here's my new fretted 535 in the works:

[​IMG]

It's a spalted maple top on a koa tonewood body. The neck & fingerboard will be wenge.

The koa is part of a slab I sent Mike, that came from a huge tree cut down for a koa canoe, about 3 hours hike above my house on the steep forested slope of Mt. Haleakala here on Maui. The canoe logs were hauled down by hand using vines and rollers in the traditional way, which took over 2 weeks solid work by a lot of folks. The slab was presented to me by the canoe club guys in a ceremony, as an honor to the landowner for giving them access to the forest.

These show the canoes and the slab coming out of the forest near my house, and the koa slab drying in my shed..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It should be a nice one. I can't wait.

Aloha,

Jonathan

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Jonathan, you are a bad dude! :)

I can't wait to see the back of that and also the finished product. Very nice.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021