1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM conversion is it possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StereoPlayer, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Can a MIM J body be upgraded with more appropriate parts? I realize that they probably have a larger route and would need a pickguard. I don’t care for the knobs they come with. Is the bridge ok?

Thanks.

Asking for a friend. ;)

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Yes

StereoPlayer likes this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    There is absolutely nothing to stop you from upgrading either the hardware or the electronics if you wish to. MIM Jazz basses all have pickguards, but if you get a replacement, be sure that it's compatible. There are several flavours of Jazz bass that have pickguards with different drillings. The knobs are attached with a simple screw, and easy to change. The bridge is perfectly functional, and there is little advantage to upgrading it other than for looks, but some prefer to do it anyway.

soulstew, Aqualung60, kentiki and 6 others like this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Are the neck pocket dimensions identical for MIA/MIM?

T-1 and StereoPlayer like this.
  5. That’s why I was asking. I have probably read all these facts at one time or another here...in one ear...out the other.

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    In my experience, yes.

bassman10096 likes this.
  7. Thanks to everyone for their answers so far. TB is awesome.

3,2,1...the snark should start any minute now.:smug:

8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I've swapped many Fender and Squier necks and they all fit like a glove!

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    All of the hardware can be easily upgraded but make sure that you get a pickguard that is specifically for MIM jazz bass as the screw holes do not perfectly line up between MIM, Squier and USA models

StereoPlayer likes this.
  10. +1

StereoPlayer likes this.
  11. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    OP,
    I personally think a jazz looks funny with different knobs.
    Someone put precision knobs on theirs and I almost fainted.
    The same thing applies to the Mustang...057912

12. I had problems with a MIM bridge. A couple of the saddle screws slipped (it took 5 songs for this to happen) and the string completely fretted out. I replaced the bridge. Also the the plastic nut eventually broke outside of the g string allowing the string to slip out so I had a good bone nut installed. It ended up being a great bass.

Aqualung60 and StereoPlayer like this.
  13. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    The same thing happened with my MIM Precision. It would take a few weeks for the saddles to work their way down. I bought threaded saddles and that fixed it.
    I actually like this bass better than my MIA.
    Mine had CTS pots and the jack had been replaced. Put a Switchcraft jack in it if it doesn't have one already.
    Pickups? That's a long and winding road to travel and it can get out of control for some of us.
    Try different strings first. Some MIM pickups are fine as-is.
    Personally I can't play a bass that hums, so I would probably put humbuckers in it. That's just me.
    Good luck finding a pickguard that fits. I gave up and left the original white one on it.

bulldean and MovingPitchers like this.
  14. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    So wait, this isn't a religious question?

Turns out it sorta is ...

Guzzi Toad and 68Tele-Bass like this.
  15. I agree, that’s why I don’t care for the knobs on a MIM J.
    But...however...there’s one guy that did it!

upload_2020-11-27_13-55-8.jpeg

Mastermold and ejaggers like this.
  16. SLPimp

SLPimp Punk's not dead Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Yup. I use mainly Squier bodies for builds and don't have to modify much. MIM stuff is a similar fit, so far as I know.

bolophonic and StereoPlayer like this.
  17. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Don't look at mine then. I've got a 90's MIM with strat knobs and a one piece pickguard.

After years of looking for control plates and actual jazz pickguards that fit together perfectly I've given up and accepted the fate of having a one piece pickguard. I do have a set of actual jazz knobs that I'll put on if the mood strikes me.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

MIM use Metric parts, so I'm not sure SAE parts will fit into a MIM controls-plate.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

With a pickguard, it's easy, you just ream the holes, but different story with the controls-plate.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  20. The plate doesn’t bother me.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021