1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM P-Bass Project Complete (w/pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowGo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. LowGo

LowGo

Jan 25, 2008
    Just finished this yesterday. I'll be fine tuning it on Saturday with the boys.

It's an '06 MIM P-Bass I got off of E-Bay. Midnight Wine (wanted a black one, but when I saw a Midnight Wine with a black PG, I fell in love!) So anyway, here's what I did:

-All Parts Black PG from GC (underside shielded with copper tape from Stew Mac.)
    -Bad Ass II from GC (saddle grooving...what fun.)
    -BassLines QP from GC (I have poor solder skills!)
    -Warmoth Jazz neck w/ Corian nut installed and Satin finish(5 weeks from order to arrival, and a few days of spraying lacquer; a first for me. Recieved counsel from my Stepdad who is a masterful wood worker!)
    -Hipshot Ultra-lites and string retainer.

All I know about bass modding I learned from you guys and gals here on Talkbass, so I have you to thank, or blame...

The only bad thing...this could easily become addicitve!

2. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    very sexy :bassist:

3. LowGo

LowGo

Jan 25, 2008
    Thank you...but what about the bass?(rim shot);)

4. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I like it, nice job.

5. freakin' sweet....

farley_fullsize_story1.

6. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    that looks soooooooooooo good very nice job

7. I love that color combination. Great looking bass!

Tell me about it! I'm just finishing up an '08 MIM (should be done today if the knobs come in) with a bone nut, flats, replacement pearloid PG, pearloid top knobs, '62 shield, full cavity shielding, MIA p'ups, Gotoh 201 bridge and rewired with new pots. Dead quiet, no noise at all even under fluorescent lights. Love it.

Modding really can get addictive. I started out building an '03 MIA from parts a few months ago and since then I've bought two used Ps to clean up, mod and sell, picked up a '98 P Deluxe in pretty sad shape to rebuild and then redid the MIM.

If you decide to get into it and worry about your soldering skills, pick up a soldering station. Your work will likely improve 100% as soon as you plug it in.

8. Sweet! Nicely done ol' chap ...

Ode to GAS
    "We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    ... And we are the schemers and builders
    Of basses forever, it seems."

All apologies to A. O'Shaughnessy ...

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Let there be thunder! Nice looking. I would consider a series parallel switch :bag: , but I never leave well enough alone. :D

10. I dig it. :bassist:

11. "Isn't she lovely" That is one hot bass, everything fell into place perfectly.........

12. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    You're already addicted and you don't even know. You'll become an accessories lurker in no time if you haven't already.

Bass looks sweet. Maybe now it's time to do a jazz bass;)

13. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Nice job. Neat and simple. I like it.
    How does it sound?
    My own MIM-project was based on a midnight (jazz) wine body. I would love to do another one but a P-bass this time.

14. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    all that work on the bass and the ends of the strings are hanging all over the place

sorry, it's my pet peeve

15. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    looks great...something about mods you choose yourself that lend a personal note to a bass eh?

16. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I get it. "personal note" LOL

17. LowGo

LowGo

Jan 25, 2008
    Take that.

18. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I like it!

I've been thinking of doing a similar project, but with black hardware.