Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miniamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coolsnow7, Oct 30, 2004.

1. coolsnow7

coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    Situation: I'm going on a touring thing where I wouldn't be able to take much more than a small suitcase. I wouldn't be able to fit my practice amp. Most of my (guitarplaying) friends are bringing miniamps, and I want to play along with them.

a) Do bass miniamps exist? If so, TELL ME! :hyper:
    b) If not, what's the smallest practice amp you know of?
    c) Any idea if a guitar miniamp would work/last?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Marshall make the mini stacks, im not sure if they do a bass one...

I know that Danelectro make a mini amp thats the same size as one of their mini pedals, i believe it to be called the ePower or eStudio or something...

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Phil Jones Bass Briefcase is just that. It sounds awesome, too and can run on batteries.
    [​IMG]

4. coolsnow7

coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    Ok, anything less expensive?

5. Jazz Ad

600 $ isn't that much for a high end 100 W combo :).
    There's always the Pignose Hog 30.
    [​IMG]

6. get the pjb briefcase if you are going to perform. anything else should stay in the bedroom. just take the $500 hit and sell it when you return. these are in high demand but short supply. can't use a guitar amp unless you like to make fart sounds. crate made a guitar portable too.

7. coolsnow7

coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    Ok, I was very unclear about what I meant by a touring thing. I didn't mean like a band that goes on tour. I meant one of those high-school things where you go to different cities and...tour. And I'm not gonna be performing anywhere.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
  9. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
  10. A used Korg Pandora is worth its weight in gold. I actually use this thing live in my effects loop.

Really, you all don't need miniamps. You need to bring your acoustics--like the martin backpacker acoustic or something.

You need an acoustic bass guitar if your hanging with your buds all the time. I take my thunderchief everywhere, even if I never play it. you never know when you'll need it.

Thunderchief Nation

p.s. that crate amp was called a "taxi." it was yellow.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Fender makes a mini amp called the Amp Can, as well as the Mini Tone Master. These may be what you are lookin' for. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

12. Hehehe, those Marshall mini stacks are really funny. The guitarists in our band were eyeing them up.....wonder if they're gonna get some.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm. I have never heard of an amp like that. Theorytically, what price range would one of those amps sell for? ;) ....... :D

14. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I might have to try out the jamplug. We'll see. Anyone else played or going to order it? Later Joe

15. it has "gorgeous bright white styling."
    actually, i think it may just be a headphone amp.
    i wonder how it handles the low B.

16. Jazz Ad

With a large grin and a bit of smoke ?

17. OK I bought the jamplug and it sounds terrible. No bass feeling. It is advertised as having built in hiss and distortion, and yes indeed, and there isn't much you can do to get rid of it. Well, it is slightly better than nothing, but eons from a real amp.

18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I don't know if this suits your needs based on size or power requirements, but this Ashdown Mini Rig will probably be my next purchase as soon as they become available this month.

Ashdown Perfect Ten Mini Rig