Minidisc noise when recordind with AC adapter

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by michele, Feb 7, 2005.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Hi guys,
    I'm sure a lot of you can help me with this problem. I got an horrible hum noise when recording my band rehearsal with the Minidisc using the AC adapter. I've read in the manual that is possible to experience this noise if one touch the cable when recording but no one touches anything and even the cables (mic and AC adapter) are separate.
    On the other side, when using just the power of the battery everything is quiet and wonderful sounding!
    The MiniDisc is a Sony MZ-700 and the mic is a Sound Professional BMC-2 mini binaural.
    Thanks for the help! ;)
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Most likely the outlet you are using. Are there flourescent lights in the room? Sometimes lights and such get put on the same circuit as outlets which can put funky noise into lines. Try using a different outlet. If need be run an extension cord from a different room as the outlets in the same room may very well be on the same circuit. If the thing gives you noise nomatter where you plug it, you may try getting a new ac adapter, or buy yourself a power conditioner, that may help. Good luck.
  3. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    without a doubt, the outlet isn't grounded well or perhaps the AC adapter has some issues. it is obviously one of those 2 things if when using just a battery you don't hear the hiss.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've had this problem when using one of those AC adapters with the variable voltage selector. The problem corrected itself when the correct voltage was applied. That could be another cause.