1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miss the one you sold?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pima, May 20, 2011.

1. pima

pima

May 13, 2011
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey out there, first post on TB!

Was considering selling a couple of my favorite oldies, put the $ together to buy a new 5. I've had my Yamaha 5 since '94, it's great but I'd sure like an upgrade.

Was just wondering if you've sold your old timers, and if it was worth it. Or do you just miss them forever - always??

THOUGHT about selling the Yamaha 5er and the Fretted Bullet Deluxe. Considering Lakland and Dingwall. Haven't committed yet.

Check 'em out here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/108059596946595155888/Basses?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6xxey6v4rhtwE#

2. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    That bullet is wicked! Ive sold one bass that i regret selling but i wont mourn. Id keep that bullet tho not to much around ya know. Ive seen alot more of those yamahas though.

3. SGS

SGS

Mar 21, 2010
    If you've enjoyed it then you'll probably regret it just a little. However, if you pick up something to replace it that you enjoy more it'll reduce the regret.

I sold an old rackmount Digitech digital delay the other day because I never use it. I have had this thing for 16 years and its collected more inches in dust than minutes of playing time. While demo'ing it for the guy that bought it (I was playing while he was fiddling with the controls) I started questioning why I was getting rid of it because it was kind of cool. Then I remembered - it was cool for about a week and it sat for 16 years after that.

4. I didn't exactly sell it (I donated it to a church I visited in Haiti), and have no regrets at all.

5. bassheadbass

bassheadbass

May 13, 2011
    if you play bass

never sell a bass

you will regret it

6. pima

pima

May 13, 2011
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thank you all. bassfunk you might be right about that Bullet, that just means I'll have to come up with even more straight cash if I only let go of the Yammie. Thing is, I've got a great MIJ Squier Jazz that right now is getting more play than the Bullet.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've bought/sold many basses over the years, and I can honestly say I don't miss any of them. It's not that they were bad basses, I guess they just didn't fit me. Among those basses were a USA Lakland, 2 high end Zons, many Steinbergers, Warwicks, various Carvins, and a high end Spector. Most recently on the high end was my Music Man Bongo. I honestly would not buy a single one of them back unless it was an insane deal.

My current lineup is a Warwick Streamer Jazzman, a Spector NS-5H2W, and a Brubaker Brute. It's taken this long to figure out the neck shape and string spacing that I like.

There were some close calls though. I had a 1996 Warwick Fortress One that I never should have sold. Not that I 'miss' it really, there was just no reason to sell it, other than to buy something different. It was a better bass than most anything that came after it, and it took another Warwick to beat it.

Steinbergers. I've had probably 5 Steinbergers of all types and shapes. I'd like to have one of them back just to have a Steinberger. Overall the best one was an old pre-Gibson Q4. Felt great, sounded great, I think I paid $300 for it. Sold it for some stupid reason. I also liked my Gibson era Xq-25, it sounded phenomenal and the neck is perfect. Just wish it had wide string spacing.

Zons. I had two NICE 5 string Zons. One fretted, one fretless. Beautiful basses, loved everything about them except the string spacing and neck shapes.

I went nuts one time at a guitar show and bought a USA Lakland and a USA Spector NS-4. Couldn't get a good E string sound out of either one, so they didn't stay long.

I had 3 Carvins. Eventually sold them all. May have kept the Bunny Brunel if it were fretted.

Warwick Thumb. One of the best sounding basses ever, nice thin neck that just begged to be played, just couldn't jive with the body.

I sold my Bongo because I needed money and at the time it was the most easily replaceable bass I had. Just never went back to a Bongo after getting my Warwick.

Yeah I'm going to revise my previous statement..I want my Steinberger Q4 back!

8. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    What if you sell a bass to buy a better one?

9. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    Ah but it will get played. You will eventually start doing a rotation with your basses i didnt do this for a long time. But now i do it and all my basses love me for it lol.

10. Ah, just today i was telling someone about selling my 1993 Musicman Sterling. First year of production, had mutes on the bridge, beautiful guitar.

11. pima

pima

May 13, 2011
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ha! mmbongo, revising your statement made me laugh, and think harder:)bassfunk, there's definitely a lot to be said about rotating through those in the stable, why have an instrument you don't play?
    Starting to realize I really can let go of the yamaha. The B is somewhat flabby and I've been aching for a nice taught B for a long time. Have tried many gauges and brands over the years. Think I've grown out of it and can move on.

12. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    the only instrument I regret selling - and it took me nearly 20 years to regret selling it - was my bought-as-new 1972 Ric 4001. When I switched from pickstyle to fingerstyle around '91 it just didn't fit my new technique. Never missed it until the last year or so and now I am gassin' bad for a Ric and working up my pickstyle chops again.

Not that any of my other basses are going anywhere. I spent too much time finding them to ditch them now!

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I regret selling my 1974 Matsumoku jazz bass. The only thing wrong with it was it didn't say Fender on the headstock. I should have just upgraded pups/electronics. If the income generated outweighs your personal value then it's nice to have spending money on a new instrument. If you're in love, don't sell. Not in love, sell. It never ends.

14. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yes... had a '66 Jazz in excellent stock condition. I didn't know then what I know now and my playing has also evolved. I really, really, really wish I still had that one. Other than that? The only other bass I wish I still had was my NS Electric Bass Cello. It was a blast to play and sounded fantastic to boot.

15. I think about my Tobias sometimes. But i always find another one to buy and then im all better for a little while.

16. The words "selling" and "Yamaha" don't fit in the same sentence

17. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sold off an ESP F104, a Ray34, and an '02 MIM P-bass.

Don't miss the ESP at all.
    Miss the quality of the Ray34, but not the trebly sound of it.
    Miss that '02 Pbass. That one was a beaut, and was on par with any MIA I'd played. Unfortunately I had lost my job and had to sell off most of my 'toys'. :crying:

18. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I am not selling my Yamaha!

You see. They do fit :)

19. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    i sold my 25 year old peavey patriot. dont miss it
    sold my nearly-new & still mint vm jazz... regret getting rid of it. if i can ever spare $300 again i'll re-buy

20. I bought a Dingwall Combustion, because I wasn't sure if I would like the fan frets, we don't have a dealer in Ireland, and in my case I fell in love with it, and i sold all my other basses to buy a more up market Dingwall (ABII), I have no regrets in selling any bass but in my case I was lucky, if your not sure can you hire the bass your thinking of for a couple of days, I'm sure the shop must have a demo model they would consider, after all if it leads to a sale big + for them.