1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missing Persons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I guess this what you do to get Frank Zappa out of your system. It was truly a sign of the Eighties that a great bassist like Patrick O’Hearn went 90+% synthesizers in this band. That said, I loved the album, Spring Session M.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    They were a really good band. Terry Bozzio and Patrick O'Hearn (who did some really good and not-so-good new age stuff) are a solid rhythm section, and the songwriting was interesting. Dale has such a unique voice.

3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I've been dredging up a ton of 80's stuff for a young person recently, and this was one of them.

I'm also (and have been for years) so into what Aimee Mann put out, both while playing bass for 'til Tuesday and even after the switch to guitar (#sadbassists) toward the end of 'tT and in her solo work. Not a happy body of work on the whole, but it speaks to real life so much.

design, MCF, woodyng2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mods, can you move this because I meant to post this thread in Miscellanous.

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Spring Session M absolutely killed! I wore that album out.
    I really like what Terry Bozzio is doing these days.

Janforth, Alik and JimK like this.
  6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    The other two MP songs I sent along to a young person recently:

Turbo Sparky and Spectrum like this.
  7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If that was the goal, it definitely worked!

The Owl and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    'give' is one of my very favorite pop tunes.

Sequential and JimK like this.
  9. Mental Hopscotch

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...one of my favourite '80s bands. Hands down.

My friend turned me on to them...his thing was "Check out the drummer". Eventually, I figured out it was a guy that kicked ass with The Brecker Brothers Band (Heavy Metal Bebop) & Zappa.

How many of you know Ken Scott was their manager?
    Scott is a well-known recording engineer (Beatles, Elton John, Bowie, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc); his book is worth the read. There is a nice section on Missing Persons. Funny piece on Bobby Colomby (A& R guy) dissing Bozzio's effort to get the band signed to Colomby's label.

The Owl and Janforth like this.
  11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

yodedude2 likes this.
  12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...that drum part!

5StringBlues likes this.
  13. I love Missing Persons! We were pretty floored when we realized it was the same folks who did Joe's Garage with Frank Zappa. It made us love them even more, and realize that their excellence was no accident. Talented folks all.

Nobody walks in LA!

14. I really liked the song “Mental Hopscotch”

15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I enjoyed them Back in the day. Great musicians. They sound a bit dated now

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Extremely dated actually

instrumentlevel, Frank77 and MCF like this.
  17. They are on tour right now ! I have tix to see them on Dec 29th...

18. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Boston version:

CayGee, Turbo Sparky and AaronVonRock like this.
  19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Me too, these guys nailed the New Wave formula and they hit it right in the sweet spot, when the punk influence had started to wane but before the late 80s cheese set in. I put The Fixx in the same category. The Cars looked good for a while there but eventually fell victim to the late 80s on "Heartbreak City" and everything after.

I drove around listening to "Everything's Different Now" on repeat in college. Loved it so much, still do. I also got into her next couple solo albums, the ones she released in the late 90s. "I'm With Stupid" was one of them. She is a great songwriter and a great musician.

20. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    Reading your post I remembered vaguely that Bobby C. played those killer drums on the first Blood Sweat & Tears albums, when I looked it up it also mentioned that he played on Church of Anthrax, upon which I, as a casual John Cale fan who has performed In C ocassionally, realized I finally should give that one a listen. Wow, that is really interesting record. Besides production values, hasn't aged a bit. Thanks to @JimK and @Dr. Cheese for hipping me to that one serendipitously

JimK and Dr. Cheese like this.