1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing a 4 ohm and 8 ohm one amplifier, how to do it ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Torjan, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    Hi All,
    I want the best way to connect these 4 speakers:
    This is what I have
    - 2 x pioneer HPM-100 (8ohms. Input power 50w, max 100w)
    - 2 x Scandyna minipods (4ohms. Input power 10w to max 100w)
    - Kenwood amplifies KR-V6050 (2 x 100w, 8ohms)
    The amplifier has the option:
    - A or B (4-16ohms)
    - A and B (8-16ohms)
    thank you for the help
    kenwood-kr-v6050.
    215142077_3_644x461_kenwood-kr-v-6050-boxe-sisteme-audio_rev004.
    s-l1600.
    scandyna-speakers-minipod-mk2-253212.
    s-l16003.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Try both pairs, and see which you like better.
    Personally I would probably choose the Pioneer speakers. :)
    If you try to connect all 4 speakers, your amp will see a 2.67 ohm load (below the recommended minimum of 4 ohms) and furthermore the 4 ohm speakers will get twice as much power as the 8 ohm speakers.

3. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    thanks for the reply, then If I would like to use all of them I need probably to change the amplifier right ?
    For the Pioneer speakers, they are the best speakers you can hear. I have many speakers, and the hpm-100 are always my preferred speakers.

4. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If the Pioneer speakers sound great, then just keep using them, no need to add more speakers. ;)

I'm not familiar with your model of receiver. If it has a Surround Sound option, then you could try using the other speakers as rear/surround speakers.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  5. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    no surround on the amplifier unfortunately. My wife hate these speakers, because they are taking a big place in the living room, and she thinks they are ugly, but of course I find them sexy :). So they are some how covered not in the best position I could listen to music. I want to add 2 more on the top to add some treble to the sound.
    I can exchange the amp if that will fix the problem.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    This should be moved to off topic. OP is asking about home stereo equipment, not bass amps and cabs.

7. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    this is my first thread, sorry for that

yodedude2 likes this.
  8. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Welcome and no worries. :)

One thought is, you could let your wife select a nice fabric, to drape over the speakers. This would hide them from view when they aren't in use.

Another idea is to invest in a nice set of headphones. ;)

mcnach and HolmeBass like this.
  9. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    hahahaha

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I found the owner's manual for your receiver (attached). There is a surround sound/impedance selector switch you must use and consider, depending upon whether you are using the amp in stereo or surround mode (see page 7). The directions are a bit confusing.

I believe with the surround sound/impedance switch to the left, the total minimum load for the front speakers is 4 ohms, and when the switch is to the right the total minimum load is 8 ohms.

This means with the switch set to the left you can run one set of your speakers or the other, but not both simultaneously. With the switch set to the right, you can only run the 8 ohm Pioneers.

In order to run two sets of speakers at the same time, set the switch to the left, and use speakers with nominal impedance of 8 ohms or more.

When the switch is set to the right, no sound comes from the center or rear speaker outs.

Attached Files:

11. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    thanks for the manual, but unfortunately, the reference for the amplifier is the same for another model, which is the one I have, this way I included a picture of the connectors behind, the amplifier has only 4 outputs 2 left and 2 right

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Odd that Kenwood would use the same model number for two different receivers. Regardless, from the partial view of the rear panel you provided, the information about the minimum total load is still 4 ohms, so you can't run both of your sets of speakers simultaneously.

Explanation:
    - A or B (4-16ohms) This means each output can push one set of speakers with minimum load of 4 ohms.
    - A and B (8-16ohms) This means each output can push two sets of speakers, but each speaker must have minimum nominal impedance of 8 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel gives a 4 ohm load.

It looks like there still may be an impedance switch on the back of the amp, just to the right of where you cropped the image. If this is true, the function of the switch may be to limit whether you can select both speakers at the same time.

13. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    there is a switch in front where I can select AorB or A&B. I have also 2 other speakers they are 8 ohms but the maximum power is only 50w, could I use them instead of the 4 ohms speakers?

14. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Those HPM-100s were killer back in the day. I had a pair in the early 80s

Roxbororob likes this.
  15. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    they still a killer, they shake the house and neighbourhood houses :)

Roxbororob likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The impedance switch on the back may reconfigure the power supply and have nothing to do with the speaker selector switch. Without a schematic, I am just guessing.

You can use 50W speakers; just be careful to not turn the receiver up too loud when you are using them.

17. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I bet! Ahhhhh....the good old days. Akai reel to reel, Technics turntable and Sansui power. I was not a good neighbor :cool:

Chad Michael likes this.
  18. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    loool

19. Torjan

Torjan

Nov 5, 2018
    not a good solution then

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Depends upon how you intend to use them. If you want to crank the receiver to its max output, probably not. If you just want to spread the sound around at a nice volume, it should work fine.

smogg likes this.